• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Hot and fast brisket help...

smoke-n-my-i's

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I have a 7 lb flat on right now.

I was going to put it on yesterday afternoon and try to get it done early evening, and Shane suggested hot and fast. Well, it was raining and I just didn't feel like messing with it as I got home later than expected.

So since today if a holiday for me, I have it on now. I am able to get my offset cranking today... usually I can't get it much more than maybe 275. Today, that baby is CRANKING... it is doing a slamming 380, and after an hour that brisket has gone from 56 to 140 degrees.

Now, should I be looking for something out of the ordinary, or just keep on target for my stall zone then wrap?

Any suggestions... thanks.

Bill

Just ran out to check.

cooker is now 408 :eek: that is the hottest ever.... something is going my way, I think....

the brisket is up to 159 and looking good.

guess I will keep a close eye on it for a bit.

Should I slow down the heat?

164, so I just juiced and wrapped... temps dropped a little as the coals were just starting to burn down, so I topped off the sfb, and closed it all up... will see what happens. I was going to take a pic, but got so involved with wrapping, juicing, and refueling, didn't think about it until after I wrapped... :oops: even had the camera sitting there and turned on. will get after cooked then...

I'm glad I am not at a comp trying this. It is cooking at 401, and the brisket is at 180.... and it has been on cooking since 8:45am... not quite 2 hrs....

Really looking for your opinion on this Bill.

I am hoping for some input, but so far, none.... I sure am glad I am NOT trying this at a comp, or I would be trying to hold this one for a LONG time before turn in time... that is why I am trying it now. At this rate, it looks like it will only be cooking for about 3 hrs.... :eek: compared to my usual 9-12... so if this works, looks like I can get a little more sleep before I have to get busy... :p :rolleyes:

i tried hot and fast on two briskets this weekend on my uds i didnt like them i didnt wrap either one though i will be wrapping my next one

All rubbed up and waiting for me to make it hot.... that is my favorite fillet knife for reference to the size of the brisket.

Attachments

• PC191854.jpg
    PC191854.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 288
i tried hot and fast on two briskets this weekend on my uds i didnt like them i didnt wrap either one though i will be wrapping my next one

Thanks for that input. I did wrap mine so I will see how it does. I have read some on the hot and fast, and have heard some, but this is my first attempt. I am really surprised that I can get my offset that high, usually I can't... so I will see. More to come.

Keep us posted! You are cooking that sucker good and hot!:cool:

I take it that most of the time that they are not quite that hot??? It seems to be averaging close to abt 380, with some spikes at or just over 400, and some dips close to 300 when I need to refuel this fuel hog....

380 is about average for high heat. I thought I read something well over 400 there, but that was just a temporary spike I guess! :cool: At that temp it was sounding more like the super-high-heat-over-direct-flame briskets. I've never done a flat, surprised to hear it might be ready in 3 hours, but again, I don't do flats.

both of mine were flats and i cooked them at 325. I put them on as soon as i added a chimney of coals to my basket it takes 2 hours for my uds to come up to that temp so they where on there a total of 7 hours but the first two it was getting up to speed.

2 hrs and 45 minutes later, sitting in my trusty $25 Cambro resting... I did bring it in and it is sitting on the kitchen counter.

Attachments

• PC191862.jpg
    PC191862.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 207
Man, if this thing turns out, I will be able to get some serious needed zzzzz's on Friday night comp nights.... :biggrin: :p

After it rests for bit, if I can resist those great smells that I had while putting it in the Cambro, we will see how it slices up... We were planning on it for this evening, but I guess we will be having some brisky sammies before long.... :wink: :lol:

380 is about average for high heat. I thought I read something well over 400 there, but that was just a temporary spike I guess! :cool: At that temp it was sounding more like the super-high-heat-over-direct-flame briskets. I've never done a flat, surprised to hear it might be ready in 3 hours, but again, I don't do flats.

yeah, I am calling it a spike, but it was more like close to 45 minutes... so, would that be a spike, or a medium burn time....

I had good luck with high heat briskies, I cooked mine at 375, about the same as you did. I cooked them this way for a couple years. Then I did a low and slow again and switched back. The convenience factor is worth it, but then you may find yourself after a couple years willing to work harder for that extra little bit of tenderness. I also like the bark better on low and slow, but that's just personal opinion. I do agree that good hot and fast briskies are indeed possible, I've made them.

I would call that a temp spike personally. I don't think you have to worry about burning really, you would have known if you had problem by the look and smell when you foiled. My father did hot and fast briskies for a number of years roasting them in the O-word at 500*, and they turned out really good for O-word briskies. He would trim the ever-loving crap out of them, season with only a little salt and pepper, and let them cook for a couple hours (they cooked fast). I don't know for sure if they were braised or not, I'll have to ask him if you want to know more about that. He would usually whip one up before everyone came over and serve, so i never watched him make one beginning to end, and at the time I was in to low and slow so never bothered to ask about it. At the time i thought my low and slow were better for the same reasons I stil prefer low and slow, it was more tender, and had better bark.

Back