MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:06 PM   #1
davio
Found some matches.

Default How to build

Hi guys,
What a great site! I've had a few smokers over the years and finally scored an old oil tank. Looking for some good plans for a pig roaster/Smoker.
Any help would be great. I know I need a trailer but I have all the other tools needed to build something.
Thanks and keep on smokin!
davio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2011, 03:03 PM   #2
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

There are several good ones on google. Are you doing an offset box or direct heat with heat shield?

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Is it one of those home heating oil type tank??? If it is most of the time they will rust out very fast,
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2011, 05:34 PM   #4
Capozzoli
is one Smokin' Farker

I built a couple. I just put a big door and hinges on it with a couple of intake dampers on either end.

One had a big rack the other had a rotisserie installed into it. There was no offset fire box on either.

True what jestrige said, they will rust out fast. You can avoid this by seasoning it with veg oil as it cools down. Just spray it or brush it on. Then you have to store it under a roof.

You dont necessarily need a trailer if you are not going to move it a lot. Fits in a pikc up. Built on simple legs they are not usually all that heavy.

[url]http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/[/url]
[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR]
Capozzoli is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2011, 05:36 PM   #5
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capozzoli View Post
I built a couple. I just put a big door and hinges on it with a couple of intake dampers on either end.

One had a big rack the other had a rotisserie installed into it. There was no offset fire box on either.

True what jestrige said, they will rust out fast. You can avoid this by seasoning it with veg oil as it cools down. Just spray it or brush it on. Then you have to store it under a roof.

You dont necessarily need a trailer if you are not going to move it a lot. Fits in a pikc up. Built on simple legs they are not usually all that heavy.
You should have used Aluminum.
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2011, 07:16 PM   #6
Capozzoli
is one Smokin' Farker

They are thin and definitely dissipate the heat, cold or windy days are tough on temp control. Cant see aluminum being all that much worse.

Another thing I was thinking is mounting the tank on the horizontal instead of the vertical. Then a splayed out pig could be roasted in there. Goes much faster that way.

[url]http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/[/url]
[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR]
Capozzoli is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2011, 01:20 AM   #7
davio
Found some matches.

Yes it is a home style tank. thinking of direct heat no side box. I'll have to check it out rust wise.
davio is offline   Reply With Quote