MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:26 AM   #1
pufferbelly
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Offset vertical vs offset horizontal

All things being equal, i.e., steel thickness (quarter inch or better), capacity etc..... Would most of you use or consider an offset vertical "ala" Bandera style vs an offset horizontal and why?

pufferbelly
pufferbelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2011, 11:39 AM   #2
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've only cooked on one. I have a 'dera style (vert).
The only thing about mine that I've noticed I do NOT like (and I LOVE mine overall) is that the bottom rack gets REALLY warm, even with the diffuser. I've never packed it full yet, but I've always wondered if this may cause issues for me later with large cooks.

I suppose you have the same issue on a horizontal (parhaps not?) closer to the firebox.

Again....can't really offer a complete comparison.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
SirPorkaLot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by pufferbelly View Post
All things being equal, i.e., steel thickness (quarter inch or better), capacity etc..... Would most of you use or consider an offset vertical "ala" Bandera style vs an offset horizontal and why?

pufferbelly
Horizontal is my vote. I use vertical for cold smoking and for cooking in my UDS, but in an offset I want horizontal

Old 03-03-2011, 11:44 AM   #4
Panthers65
is one Smokin' Farker

Horizontal with reverse-flow is the only way to fix that problem, my std flow horizontal use to be pretty different at either end too. I'd typically put the shoulders towards that end and the more delicate meats at the other if I was doing a full run.

My next build (after a couple more UDS's of course) will be a large horizontal with reverse flow.
Panthers65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2011, 11:44 AM   #5
capnrob97
On the road to being a farker

I have both, but use the vertical offset 2x as much as the horizontal.
capnrob97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2011, 11:46 AM   #6
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker

To me it would depend more on the size of the grates and what you intend to cook. I have both a big offset stick burner and an upright pellet pooper, but my racks in the pellet pooper are the size of full sheet pans, so I can fit most anything I want on them.

Can't cook a whole hog in an upright, but cant hang sausages in my stickburner.

So I just have both :)