• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

drum with sealed lid

S

scoots06a1

i just got my hands on a 55 gallon drum that was used to store olive oil. the only problem is that is has a sealed lid. im planning on building a uds and wanted to use the drums lid instead of a weber dome. anyone have any tips for removing without damaging it?

When I got mine it had a sealed lid on it. I took it to a guy that used a air chisle and cut it off. If you're gonna use the weber lid, I would chisle out the very top and hammer the sides down. I just used what he cut off as a lid...
046zql.jpg

Heres how i cut my...i used a grinder with a cutting wheel

Attachments

• DSC03622.jpg
    DSC03622.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 229
  • DSC03602.jpg
    DSC03602.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 225
  • PIC-0112.jpg
    PIC-0112.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 222
In all honesty, I think you will be happier with a dome lid. The flat lids work but since they are flat, you will have stuff dripping onto the meat at some point.

I am in a similar situation. I have a closed head drum that I have already cut out the lid and grinded the leftovers flush with the lip on the inside. My thought here is that I want to leave the lip on so it will be more rigid. I know that I can cut the lip off and a Weber lid will fit perfectly.

I don't have a lid that will fit right on the outside of the head. I have read that Kingsford lids from the grills at Walmart will fit. I have not checked it out for myself yet but that is the direction that I am going.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

i just got my hands on a 55 gallon drum that was used to store olive oil. the only problem is that is has a sealed lid. im planning on building a uds and wanted to use the drums lid instead of a weber dome. anyone have any tips for removing without damaging it?

at least you got one i still cant find 3 let alone 1

I used a drum deheader

drum_d2.jpg

Then I bought the cheap $30 Weber knockoff from sears for the rest of the parts.

uds4.jpg

i'm a new guy here but i used a sawzall with a metal blade on it and it cut right through it like hot butter.nice clean cut too.and will those lids from sears fit a regular open head drum?thanks bill

thanks for all the ideas/tips. i think im going to cut out the top like milehigh. then get a stock pot cover that will fit. thanks again.

Back