Catering how do I become licensed and legit?

Shiz-Nit

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Can someone kind off walk me through the proper processes that I need to do to be legit to serve the public. What licenses, certificates or any other thing I may need and were to I get them or any other thing I need to do or don’t do.

Thanks

Start with your local health department and your insurance agent! Really, codes vary a lot, and if you dont protect yourself you could lose everything you have if somebody gets sick from your food (could be no fault of your own!). PM me with specific questions after you talk with them.

Yes you will also need a liscensed commercial kitchen or commisary to work out of

Step 1: Go down to your county health department and inform them of your intentions. They'll give you a list of what your requirements are.

Step 2: Go down to your insurance agent and find out what they want you to have.

Start with your local health department and your insurance agent! Really, codes vary a lot, and if you dont protect yourself you could lose everything you have if somebody gets sick from your food (could be no fault of your own!). PM me with specific questions after you talk with them.

Thanks Bro as soon as I get things lines out I am sure I will have a few things to ask.

Thanks a TON Bro!!!!

Well I did what you all said and I went down to my local health department and this is what they told me I needed;

1. If I am doing this out of my home I need to have a separate kitchen area for were our everyday cooking will take place. – Got that covered in my basement we have a half kitchen.
2. Need to have a 3 compartment sink to wash, rinse and sterilize.
3. Drain boards or a commercial dishwasher
4. Utility sink - for a mop bucket and what nots he said
5. Hand wash sink
6. Approved plumbing

Currently I have a 2 compartment sink and a fridge with some cabinets. We have also contacted a cabinet guy to come out and give us an estimate to expand the kitchen sometime next week.
I have not found anything back from my insurance guy yet on that end.

Well I did what you all said and I went down to my local health department and this is what they told me I needed;

1. If I am doing this out of my home I need to have a separate kitchen area for were our everyday cooking will take place. – Got that covered in my basement we have a half kitchen.
2. Need to have a 3 compartment sink to wash, rinse and sterilize.
3. Drain boards or a commercial dishwasher
4. Utility sink - for a mop bucket and what nots he said
5. Hand wash sink
6. Approved plumbing

Currently I have a 2 compartment sink and a fridge with some cabinets. We have also contacted a cabinet guy to come out and give us an estimate to expand the kitchen sometime next week.
I have not found anything back from my insurance guy yet on that end.

They dont mean a basement kitchen.
You need a commercial kitchen or commisary to work out of.

They dont mean a basement kitchen.
You need a commercial kitchen or commisary to work out of.

I asked the guy at the health department that same thing and he said the kitchen in the basement would be okay.
As long as it was NOT the kitchen we would be cooking in for everyday family use.
And it had to meet all the above items listed and pass inspection by them at the health department and a plumber.
The main state guy will be in the office next week and I am suppose to meet with him... So I guess I will find out some good news from him I hope.

Yep, I had the same set up in another province, basically a commercial kitchen in the basement. It worked really well. But like someone said it varies from state to state and even inspector to inspector. Pick their brains before making purchases, make sure you understand them, and even get them out to see your proposal if you can.
Call the biz licence & ins folks to check their requirements,zoning by laws, enviromental services (water, I was on a drilled well & septic sys, had to have a survey done to ensure it could handle the extra usage, cost me a farkin grand) etc.
Post your questions and pics, wish I had this resource when I started. Good Luck.
Cheers

Edit- make sure your smoker is compliant, some places require nsf approved!

Last edited:
Just got a quote from my insurance agent today - $445 dollars a year for $300,000 worth of coverage, he said I could get less coverage but did not recommend it.
I also talked to the district manager from the health department today to confirm what I was told last week, and yea I can have a working kitchen for business in my basement so that was good news.
One thing he said was I needed to check the bylaws in my subdivision to make sure a working business could be run out of the home. So I guess I will do some digging a check on that next.
We also have a guy coming out to quote some new cabinets and counter tops next week for the basement kitchen. Any suggestions?

Thanks for all the good advice from everyone.

As far as suggestions for your cabs/c-tops go, it will do you good to keep your inspector in the loop with everything. All from picking out lighting to the kind of floor. You'll find that the more he is involved in your processes, the less likely he is to give you a hard time over a so-so product installed in your kitchen,

Good luck, and welcome to the madness.

FRP Board Walls, stainless racks (Sam's Club - NSF Compliant) and Used Stainless tables. Not as pretty but way more functional! Get a $1,000,000 personal liability umbrella. Take my class this fall...;-)

Just got a quote from my insurance agent today - $445 dollars a year for $300,000 worth of coverage, he said I could get less coverage but did not recommend it.

Thanks for all the good advice from everyone.

For just a basic liability policy?

You need 1 mill MINIMUM and shouldnt cost you more than $350-400 a year. Ever hear of someone sueing for 300K? :redface:
You'll also have to let your H.O ins. know your cooking in your basement for the extra liability.
Not sure what kind of cabinets your looking at but i would also advise stainless and racks. No wood allowed in a comm. kitchen.

FRP Board Walls, stainless racks (Sam's Club - NSF Compliant) and Used Stainless tables. Not as pretty but way more functional! Get a $1,000,000 personal liability umbrella. Take my class this fall...;-)

Class... What kinda class you got going on, were and when?

I'm doing a catering class this fall. Everything we've done to get where we are including shadowing us at an event. May even cover a couple contest meats as well if it's warranted......

Back