Anything but class

S

ScottGomes

Question for all you Competition Pit Masters out there, what do you think of the (anything but ) class at comps :?: do you like to compete in them :?: is there any thing you would change or add, I am new to this forum would like to know what you think for future events. Thanks

I have seen it at a few events in California, its like the name says, anything but BBQ can be turned in, seafood,desserts, soup, anything but BBQ, it is usually about a $30.00 entry

ive been to contests that have em.. unless its on a different day from the main contest, we usually skip em. We have enuf work to do.

Didn't know you meant category. Thought you meant A class. I see alot of teams turn in steak or lobster but I usually go with something out of the box. A couple of comps back my wife did a black bean stoup( thicker than soup, thinner than stew) she adapted from a RR recipe. Took first place. I am told alot of times they use some of the organizers for judging so they aren't as critical.

also you need to consider the expenses vs. payout.

if payout ia low, it's hard to justify the entry fee along with cost of the food... as often the winners go all-out with pricey cuts of beef or seafood etc. or someone turns in a killer dessert (homemade or storebought) those become hard to compete with if you turn in a sausage, pork chop etc.

We like doing them. We won Lakeland last year beating Jamie Oliver with a simple but classic Chicken Saltimboca. One of the teams we compete with won this category with an asian style tuna (which was fantastic). Its a nice change of pace. Not sure what I would do different.

They are very popular out here.

We have trouble enough with the four meats. Last thing our team needs is yet another distract - hey a shiny thing!! Look!

We did one this year at the contest we run in Omaha. We have them do anything but the 4 main and we do a sausage category as well so no sausage either.
It is difficult, in my opinion, to have desserts turned in along side savories (meats ,beans, side dishes or veggies) and have the savories have a fighting chance.
On the prize side, I have always looked at the extra categories as a way to "flex" your culinary muscles. I can see where Phil is coming from about being busy enough with the main categories, but we have the cooker fired up anyway and it keeps out of the hooch for a bit longer :)

Out here in AZ, the Anything Butt Category is always on the Friday night before a comp. It really doesnt affect how poorly we will be cooking the following day.

That being said, I think a class might be beneficial to the newer teams. Most of the teams with at least a few contests under their belt seem to understand the need to think outside the box for the AB category.....especially with presentation.

Also, the AB turn in here in AZ excludes desserts.

the only thing we've ever done except the standard kcbs categories was a burger turn in at williepaloooza, and the meat was provided by one of the sponsors. Burgers are fun and easy, and it's a level playing field.
Anything butt category isnt too cool imho...too many variables.

We did one this year at the contest we run in Omaha. We have them do anything but the 4 main and we do a sausage category as well so no sausage either.
It is difficult, in my opinion, to have desserts turned in along side savories (meats ,beans, side dishes or veggies) and have the savories have a fighting chance.
On the prize side, I have always looked at the extra categories as a way to "flex" your culinary muscles. I can see where Phil is coming from about being busy enough with the main categories, but we have the cooker fired up anyway and it keeps out of the hooch for a bit longer :)

I know a guy that cooked that contest by himself, placed in the top 10 and still got 3rd in the dessert... er... Anything Butt category. It is all about time management and having a plan before you start.

I know a guy that cooked that contest by himself, placed in the top 10 and still got 3rd in the dessert... er... Anything Butt category. It is all about time management and having a plan before you start.

I'm one of those guys. You have to have a plan. At Emporia this year I had three calls and 5th overall, then took first in steak and 7th in anything but. I agree that desserts do well.

I'm now cooking with someone, so it's even easier. Last week we took 2nd and yesterday we took third in dessert.

The dessert had nothing to do with us only getting one call yesterday. Last week it was the same dessert, and we walked 3 times.

We love doing these categories. You just have to have a plan. We had a great year for Ab's and Dessert 2- 180's very cool plus its gas money $$

we love this cat- the only thing that i wish KCBS would make clear if we have to use the 9-9 turn tray or open turn in platter

we can't fit our turn in for open in the 9-9

last year there were contest that would never tell you that you had to use the 9-9 till you were up there doing the turn in

it sucks standing at the table shuffing it in an 9-9 and trying to make it fit:shock:

york

We love doing these categories. You just have to have a plan. We had a great year for Ab's and Dessert 2- 180's very cool plus its gas money $$

This year, I cooked a contest solo and didn't arrive until 5pm Friday night. The next day, I had three seconds and a 10th in the main categories. Took 2nd in sausage and 9th in the Chef's Choice (non dessert). Took Grand Champion at the contest as well. Hitting 6 for 6 in categories and taking GC by 15 points doesn't happen without a lot of planning. The Chef's Choice was an angel hair alfredo dish with grilled shrimp and pinwheeled pork tenderloin.

At the time, I thought I was crazy for taking on something like that after five categories. But I prepped everything the night before and even par cooked my pasta before I went to bed Friday night. When it came time to put it together, it worked really well.

We stopped doing them for the most part. If there is an entry fee, we skip it. The payouts are usually small and the expense to put somnething together can get pretty high. The only suggestion I would make is to keep desserts separate from other non-BBQ entry's. Some contest will have and anything but dessert and a separate dessert entry.

Back