• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Bandera Restoration

Thanks all! I have had the seasoning burn going for about 5 hours now. The fire control for such a thin walled smoker seems pretty good. I think the vertical cooking chamber is a winner here. It does seem to consume a lot of fuel though, but been running it at about 300º.

I did find that for 2 hours the lid for the FB was moved to the right about 3/4's of an inch allowing extra air to enter. I need to modify the hinge pin to prevent this. I thought the fire was acting a little weird. :shocked:

It's been awhile since I have used anything other than the Egg for long burns, this beast really puts off some heat. Back to reminding any kids to stay clear.

I know this is late, but I think the imperfections and "mottled" look you described after painting was because you used a spray can instead of a can of paint and a roller. On my first UDS I used a spray can of paint and had the same effect. My second one i used the can of paint and a small roller and it turned out much better. While I'm posting I want to say that you have come a LONG way since the day you were looking for advice on your first UDS:) Your bbq corner in your pic looks much like mine.

While I'm posting I want to say that you have come a LONG way since the day you were looking for advice on your first UDS:) Your bbq corner in your pic looks much like mine.

Thanks, I have learned a lot in the past couple years. When I first found this place the biggest thing I had ever cooked was a Steak on a Weber. The thought of throwing a 10Lb piece of meat on the cooker was down right intimidating.

I could not have gotten to where I am without the help from people like yourself that were willing to help people out.

Thanks again!

Nice work Terry!

Are you going to mount the 4 swivel casters to the frame?

How well does the door seal? I used some BGE felt gasket and Permatex High Temp Silicone gasket on my Bandera and it seals up tight!

IMG_0400.jpg

I changed my mind Terry. I want it back.:p

I expected that one. :becky:

Nice work Terry!

Are you going to mount the 4 swivel casters to the frame?

How well does the door seal? I used some BGE felt gasket and Permatex High Temp Silicone gasket on my Bandera and it seals up tight!

Thanks, For now, no wheels. I have it set on some paver's and do not plan on moving it around. The door does leak some but not to bad. Nice idea on the gasket! After I pressure washed it, it developed several leaks around the top the cooking chamber. Knocked off the build up that was sealing it up. It is getting better the more I use it. :thumb:

I also need to get some Fire Bricks but they are pricey, hope to find some at a yard sale.

I miss my 'Dera!

That mottled paint effect is entirely due to the paint you are using. Remember well what kind it is and never ever buy it again. What I found that works well is Krylon Tough Coat, which comes in both flat black and hi-temp flat black. It covers great. Just plain good quality paint.

I tried all the hardware store hi-temp blacks and none of them worked worth a dang. So I went to an industrial paint instead.

seattlepitboss

Finally got around to doing the shelf. Used the wood from an old Water bed frame I had laying around. On the cheap used some paint left overs. Hope the shelf does not get to hot and peel the paint. If it does I'll just do it again.

Picture023.jpg

Picture020.jpg

Picture024.jpg

I am a complete novice at this smoker stuff but have purchased a New Braunfuls Smoker at a yard sale and am in the process of re-doing it. I'm using hi-temp engine paintto re-finish my project.If I could figure out how to do it I would post some pic's for your perusal.I work on it an houror two in the evening after work so is pretty slow going so far.I think it will be a thing to behold when I'm allfinished with it.

I am a complete novice at this smoker stuff but have purchased a New Braunfuls Smoker at a yard sale and am in the process of re-doing it. I'm using hi-temp engine paintto re-finish my project.If I could figure out how to do it I would post some pic's for your perusal.I work on it an houror two in the evening after work so is pretty slow going so far.I think it will be a thing to behold when I'm allfinished with it.

Get yourself a PhotoBucket account, www.photobucket.com and upload your pictures from your computer. Post a thread and click on the the the square box at the top of your message screen that looks like a yellow mountain. From PB hover your mouse over your picture, move your mouse down and click "direct link", then go back to your message and paste it into the mountain thing box. Wahla it works.

We like to see members projects!

Back