MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #1
QDoc
is one Smokin' Farker

Default No or Lo Carb Q and Sides

The thread on no carb Butt made me wish for a forum dedicated to Lo-Carb BBQ. As a diabetic I do everything I can to reduce my carb intake. I realize in the big picture there may not be that many carbs compared to the total fat and protein but every gram counts. If there is interest please show your interest and maybe the Mods can create a spot for it.
QDoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 02-12-2013, 08:42 AM   #2
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

I'm still a newb here and it seems to me that the management tends to keep things in one forum rather than subdivide things. I won't argue one way or another on that decision as it's not mine to make.

Nevertheless, if there was to be a section to deal with lo carb preparations, I would suggest it be expanded to cover any special needs diets.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #3
Mammoth Mountain
On the road to being a farker

Location: Orting Wa up on the hillside of a Volcano Mt. Rainier

All my recipes are low or no carbs. Health reasons as well drove me into changing how I cooked. I use Honey powder in my rubs. Agave and Blackstrap Molasses in sauces or glazes . I use no mayo in my sides and no ketchups. I never tell anyone and they love it. No Macaroni or potato salads. I make a Chiplote Cole Slaw instead. I did a 160 person wedding and thet said it was the best BBQ they ever had. But we don't have many if any good BBQ places up here. If they open a section up I will post my recipes.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
scayne62
Full Fledged Farker

I would be into that even finding low calorie recipes to include in there as well.
scayne62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #5
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

You can always use the search function, and if you're posting low carb recipes you can include that as a tag in your initial post which will help others find them as well.
[B]Original Noobian Warlord
[/B]Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #6
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : hamiltont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammoth Mountain View Post
All my recipes are low or no carbs. Health reasons as well drove me into changing how I cooked. I use Honey powder in my rubs. Agave and Blackstrap Molasses in sauces or glazes . I use no mayo in my sides and no ketchups. I never tell anyone and they love it. No Macaroni or potato salads. I make a Chiplote Cole Slaw instead. I did a 160 person wedding and they said it was the best BBQ they ever had. But we don't have many if any good BBQ places up here. If they open a section up I will post my recipes.
I too watch my carb intake but I use the crap out of Hellman's Mayonnaise. "Total Carbohydrate 0g"

http://www.hellmanns.com/product/det...eal-Mayonnaise

Old 02-12-2013, 01:59 PM   #7
Mammoth Mountain

For me the mayo is a weight thing. That is why I ditched it.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:04 PM   #8
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

I would not mind seeing that Chiplote Cole Slaw recipe - that sounds interesting.
John Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #9
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bowen View Post
I would not mind seeing that Chiplote Cole Slaw recipe - that sounds interesting.
+1 Would love to see some recipes for lo-carb/no carb dishes. May I suggest that this thread be used for posting any such discussion or recipes? As time goes on, and if there is sufficient interest, this thread may be "stickied" by the mods, as opposed to opening another section etc. Folks interested in other special diets can do something similar. Keeping it all in one thread (like the UDS thread) will keep it simple for everyone.

I'm on a lo-carb diet (diabetic), but I haven't had the need to eliminate all carbs - I'm just careful about the ones I really want. I watch and weigh food portions carefully and it seems to work well.

Has anyone used the myfitnesspal app? My wife and I found it to be very helpful, to count calories, carbs, etc. A cool feature is that you can input your own recipes and it can give you the nutritional facts for your recipes. It helped us determine how much of a given item (mac n cheese, cake, pie, etc) was reasonable to eat. Disclaimer: I don't own any stock in or have any affiliation with myfitnesspal
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2013, 03:32 PM   #10
HogFan
is one Smokin' Farker

Chipotle cole slaw with no mayo........I would love to see that recipe!
HogFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #11
Mammoth Mountain

Chipotle Cole Slaw

3 Cups fine chopped cabbage
1 cup fine chopper red cabbage
1 cup carrot shredded
1/4 chopped green onion
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon lime juice. or 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt ( I use lime , low sodium diet )
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
a pinch of red pepper flake or more to taste
Mix all together.
In a blender add together:
3 TBS Olive Oil
2 TBS White Balsamic Vinegar , don't use regular balsamic
2 to 3 Chipotle peppers ( start with 2 first ) with the Adobo sauce, 1 to 2 teaspoons . Small cans are in the Hispanic food section. Blend until smooth and mix with cabbage mixture. Let stand in fridge for at least 30 minutes. You don't have to worry about it in the sun.
I came up with this recipe to put on Carolina Pulled Pork Sandwiches on Pretzel Slider rolls from Costco. I just don't get to eat the rolls but everyone else raves about them. Well I had one once

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-12-2013, 08:39 PM   #12
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

Low or no carb is relevant to my interests.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:49 AM   #13
Mammoth Mountain

As a Side dish I sometimes leave the peppers and sauce out. Sometimes I add Jalapena thin slices.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:52 AM   #14
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

Thanks for posting the info - I can't wait to try it.
John Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote