MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:57 PM   #1
chuckcockrum
Got Wood.

Default "Best Dam BBQ Cookoff", Benton, Illinois - July 2, 2011

CONTEST ANNOUNCEMENT!!! - The 2011 "Best Dam BBQ Cookoff" is set to take place on July 2, 2011 at the Rend Lake Dam in Benton, Illinois. We are a state championship cook off and sanctioned by the KCBS. We're currently looking for teams and judges and have set a 50 team limit so register early! For more information you can check out our website below. Hope to see you there!

Chuck Cockrum
http://www.bestdambbqcookoff.com/

Mod edit: Added location and date to thread title

Last edited by Ron_L; 01-17-2011 at 07:23 PM..
chuckcockrum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2011, 07:25 PM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

The web site says

"1st - 5th In Four Main Categories - $50 Plus Trophy"

Is that correct?

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2011, 07:33 PM   #3
chuckcockrum
Got Wood.

That is correct, all places will also receive a trophy like the ones in the picture in the first post. All prizes are listed below:

Grand Champion: $1750.00
Reserve Champion: $750.00

KCBS Categories
Chicken, ribs, pork and brisket categories as follows:

1st place: $50.00
2nd place: $50.00
3RDplace: $50.00
4th place: $50.00
5th place: $50.00

Total Cash Amount: $3500.00

Last edited by chuckcockrum; 01-17-2011 at 07:33 PM.. Reason: Didn't look right lol

Old 01-18-2011, 02:47 PM   #4
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'll have to check our schedual...
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2011, 06:53 PM   #5
ammoore
On the road to being a farker

Are those payouts subject to change based on the number of teams that sign up? Just curious, I've re-read the payouts numerous times and can't figure out why you would pay the same for 1st place as 5th place in a category. I'm not trying to be negative about the contest, it is one that I would like to do since it is less than an hour from my house but if you get your 50 teams and you pay out < 50% of those entry fees I can see some people being turned off from the contest. That ratio of entry fees to payouts is something some people take into consideration when selecting contests.

Again, I'm not trying to be negative about the event, I'm just acknowledging the 400lb gorilla that's in the room.

If I have misread something, I apologize in advance
ammoore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2011, 08:10 PM   #6
chuckcockrum
Got Wood.

To answer your question, last year we set a payout of $500 for Grand Champ, $250 for Reserve Champ, and $50 in each category for 1st-5th. We had 30 teams attend, and ended up paying $1000 for Grand Champ, $500 for Reserve Champ, and the $50 for 1st-5th in each category. We can guarantee the amount above, but why we aren't offering more is because of the funding. We have to pay for a stage, bands, a generator for power for the teams, porta pottys, etc...And being a fairly new event a lot of businesses haven't jumped on the sponsorship bandwagon quite yet. Last year we broke even after it was all said and done, and we have put together some sponsor packages for this year that we hope will do well. We want to increase our purse every year to eventually get to $5000 Grand, $2500 Reserve, and 1st-5th in each category as follows: 1st-$250, 2nd-$200, 3rd-$150, 4th-$100, 5th-$50. I do take your criticism as a positive thing though. And you are totally right that it should be more diverse for that 1st-5th places. We most likely will pay more I'm sure if we do get 50 teams and several sponsorships, and I will advise breaking that payout down more. Thank you for your input! I hope to see you there!

Old 01-18-2011, 10:00 PM   #7
4 smokin butts
Full Fledged Farker

Default trophy/cash/ribbon

Chuck, I think what teams are looking for is ribbons, possible rossette style, First - fifth..... basic sixth - tenth.... Trophies look great, but put cash where all those small trophies are. First being more, fifth being the least. Take some money out of grand, eliminate small trophies, and you have alot more cash to spread out in the first - fifth. Gas is up and going higher. Last year was our first full year out, and I always heard teams (especially veterans) would rather have cash verses trophies. Trophies go into the trophy graveyard when you get home. This is just some of our thoughts. We would like to hear thoughts of other teams about trophies verses cash. I think I will start a blog on this. spread the cash out......
Dennis
4 smokin butts is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-18-2011, 10:14 PM   #8
chuckcockrum
Got Wood.

Dennis, I will address this with the bbq committee, they wouldn't have any problems with doing that I don't think. And it would be nice for more team input like you said. I think that's a great idea! I will update the site once we get an idea of how to break it down, and post it on here. You guys gotta remember, I'm not a judge or have never competed. All I know is what I learn from teams and other people involved in the sport and I am open to any suggestions to make our event more team friendly and worth coming to. I appreciate all the input! Thanks!

Old 01-19-2011, 08:13 AM   #9
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

I think a good couple of threads for you would be the polls taken by JD a few weeks ago where he asked lots of competitors on several forums what motivated them to attend a comp, and what ammenities at the comp they appreciated. He then posted the ranked results. Without giving too much away, payout was high on the list....

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2011, 08:42 AM   #10
Ron_L

Here are the threads that dmp referenced...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=97817

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=97811

For us, we don't compete for the money or the trophies, but, it's nice to at least have a shot at breaking even. Looking at the distance from the Chicago 'burbs to Benton, and given the current price of gas, meat, etc., it would cost me about $600 for this competition. The only way that i can break even would be to be GC or RGC. That lowers my chances since the meat categories don't have any decent money attached to them.

As far as trophies vs. ribbons vs. cash, we would rather have a nice trophy over a ribbon, but prefer cash to either

Right now there aren't any other competitions in that area on that weekend. The closest is the west side of Iowa. So you'll probably still be able to get teams, but if it comes down to choosing between competitions I think a lot of teams will consider the potential payout as important as shown by JD's polls.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/

Old 01-19-2011, 09:14 AM   #11
sprinter
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

We, Smokin' T's, attended this contest last year (and won it) and we were very happy with the organization and the effort put forth by the organizers. They did have some power issues but they did their absolute best to ensure that folks had what they needed to compete. They will continue to improve and hopefully this will become a big contest.

I would suggest the same thing that a number of other cooks have referred to. The contest payout is VERY heavily weighted at the top. There are contest that are paying 10k that dont give $1,750 to the GC. Take the top monies and spread that out over the categories a bit to give everyone more of a shot at some more money. Also, the big trophy is nice as are the trophies for the categories, but I cant put those in my gas tank. Personally I would rather have cash than a trophy. Give ribbons for categories and put the money towards the purse. My opinion only.

Finally, if you DO get 50 teams then the payouts definitely need to increase. 50 teams at $200 each is 10k. While everyone understands that there are expenses associated with a contest, $3500 payouts will not sustain that contest. Bands and stages etc. are an expense but they are not BBQ EXPENSES. They are expenses associated with the rest of the weekend events which a good portion of the cookers will not get to enjoy. I organized a contest in Mt. Vernon, IL for 7 years and I always looked at the BBQ contest as its own entity. What we took in for entry fees all went back out to the teams or to pay for expenses related to the teams, the BBQ was not looked at as a means of funding the other events.

Just my two pennies. Looking forward to cooking with you again this year. We had a blast last year.

Troy
Smokin' T's
sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-19-2011, 09:14 AM   #12
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have to agree with Ron_L (did I just say that?).

While I would like to go to your comp, if another came by that was either closer with the same payout, or the same distance with a higher payout, I would more than likely go to them. (Not that I wouldn't expect to win yours... LOL)
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2011, 09:36 AM   #13
4 smokin butts
Full Fledged Farker

we got reserve at this contest last year, i think smokin'ts hit it on the nut shell ! we did have 31 teams there for a first year contest
4 smokin butts is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2011, 09:44 AM   #14
sprinter
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I would like to think it was skill on our part but I think its more that we got lucky or hit you guys on an off day because you went on a hot streak after that contest that was pretty incredible. Hope to see you guys back this year and here's to Four Smokin' Butts picking up where you left off last year. Good luck to you.

Troy
Smokin' T's
sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2011, 10:23 AM   #15
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster View Post
I have to agree with Ron_L (did I just say that?).
Woo hoo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinter View Post
I would like to think it was skill on our part but I think its more that we got lucky or hit you guys on an off day because you went on a hot streak after that contest that was pretty incredible. Hope to see you guys back this year and here's to Four Smokin' Butts picking up where you left off last year. Good luck to you.

Troy
Smokin' T's
Don't encourage him, Troy! We all want a shot, too!

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/

Tags
bbq, benton