• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Procurement of Brisket

Eggspert

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
We are a competition BBQ team and used Creekstone Beef Briskets last year. I am considering in the off season messing around with a few other companies, because we would really like to try Waygu. I am thinking about getting 2 Waygu's from Sam's Club online and 2 from Snake River. Comparing to the Creekstone's I have aging right now.

Before shelling out the cash I thought I would get some input from the experts. Have any teams used Sam's Club Waygu's? I know Snake River is the "go to company" for competition beef brisket. Has anyone tried all three of these??? Let me know your past experiences. I have been very happy with Creekstone, but hoping to bump up our scores on brisket. Had the opportunity to eat some perfectly cooked waygu brisket last weekend and had a yumgasim and want to re-create that! (was not cooked by us)

Eggspert BBQ

Used to cook a aged creekstone prime and a waygu every contest....a lot of the times both were just as good as the other....sometimes the point on one or the flat on the other was better......can't buy good scores

I'm upgrading to Prime Brisket from Omaha. $2.85/LB i'll give it a shot

Not what you want to hear but I've cooked Creekstone and SRF. More often than not my good ole reliable CAB out does them all.

Rub,
Where do you get your cab's from?

Thanks.

wallace

I got two top 10's and tied for 10th (lost the flip and took 11th place) in 3 out of 4 contests using CAB's from Sam's.

So . . . If you cook them both well, do you guys notice a difference in the flavor of the waygu over the CAB. The brisket I tasted, that amazed me had this dark, rich, earthy almost portabella mushroom flavor to it. I have never tasted this in CAB, or the one Waygu I cooked. I WANT that flavor. I don't know if that is a flavor coming from the meat, the cooker, the rub, the wood or everything intermingled together. It was just a really nice marriage of flavors. So? Have you noticed a slightly different flavor profile with the waygu?

I know we can't buy scores, we have been finishing in the top 15 usually, we had one 8th place finish this year. I just thought maybe the waygu might give us the little push we need to be consistent in the top 10. Most of all I want to reproduce the Brisket magic I tasted last weekend!

Eggspert BBQ

Used to cook a aged creekstone prime and a waygu every contest....a lot of the times both were just as good as the other....sometimes the point on one or the flat on the other was better......can't buy good scores

So . . . you say "used to" what are you going to do this year? Call me cheap, but I really don't want to cook 2 briskets. I know that's what most serious teams do, but our briskets right now are so consistent, they look, taste, and have the same texture every time. We haven't ruined one in 7 competitions or at home, yet. I know the day could come, but we are planning 10 comps this year, and I am just not prepared to shell out an extra $1000, at least, for the year to cook 2 briskets each comp in case we screw one up. Plus with BGE's we are really limited on our cook capacity. Does anyone out there just cook one brisket and give it special attention at comp. to not screw it up?

Eggspert BBQ

You can definitely tell a difference between the CABs and high $$ ones, both subtlety in taste and mouth feel. And the high $$ ones obviously win a lot. I guess I have just tuned in my flavor profile better to suit the CABs than the rest. I have a very hard time spending the money for those when I can do well with a $45-50 brisket. I never feel at a disadvantage going head to head against them.

Sent from the swamp using Tapatalk

So . . . you say "used to" what are you going to do this year? Call me cheap, but I really don't want to cook 2 briskets. I know that's what most serious teams do, but our briskets right now are so consistent, they look, taste, and have the same texture every time. We haven't ruined one in 7 competitions or at home, yet. I know the day could come, but we are planning 10 comps this year, and I am just not prepared to shell out an extra $1000, at least, for the year to cook 2 briskets each comp in case we screw one up. Plus with BGE's we are really limited on our cook capacity. Does anyone out there just cook one brisket and give it special attention at comp. to not screw it up?

Eggspert BBQ

The hard thing for me is when I am buying cases of creekstone primes and get anywhere from 5 good briskets to 1 good one per case the cost per brisket used in a contest goes up comparable to the waygus that are really consistent. I have found a local guy at hyvee that will let me sort Amana primes, but he doesn't always have them.

I will always cook two also....one is almost always better than the other....imo

Last edited:
Do you guys find the SNF/Creekstone have consistently thick flats? We have not ordered any yet but that is my main concern. I can't pick through a case over the internet.

I just cook one, however I'm picky about which brisket I select (mostly prime). It has to have a fairly thick flat and good marbling visible from the side.

I've never cooked a Wagyu or a Creekstone, however when I went to Franklins last summer and had their brisket... oh man! It had a nice rich flavor that I haven't tasted anywhere else. He uses Creekstone.

Eggspert BBQ

I too, only cook one brisket. I cook on BGE and need the space. I would rather cook one wagyu and do it right than two CABs.

So . . . If you cook them both well, do you guys notice a difference in the flavor of the waygu over the CAB. The brisket I tasted, that amazed me had this dark, rich, earthy almost portabella mushroom flavor to it. I have never tasted this in CAB, or the one Waygu I cooked. I WANT that flavor. I don't know if that is a flavor coming from the meat, the cooker, the rub, the wood or everything intermingled together. It was just a really nice marriage of flavors. So? Have you noticed a slightly different flavor profile with the waygu?

I know we can't buy scores, we have been finishing in the top 15 usually, we had one 8th place finish this year. I just thought maybe the waygu might give us the little push we need to be consistent in the top 10. Most of all I want to reproduce the Brisket magic I tasted last weekend!

Eggspert BBQ

just a thought, any chance the cook was using

http://www.thebbqsuperstore.com/product_p/oakridge-black-ops-6oz.htm

as his rub?

i use RD choice, but have tasted wagyu a handful of times and it was far superior to mine. although so were the cooks. :caked:

Back