• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Steven Raichlen-BBQU Tv show??

G

GIRLYQUE

I have the DVR set up to catch any BBQ shows that are scheduled. And I've been recording the BBQU tv show that Steven Raichlen does. Any of you catch this?

He is not the most entertaining guy but has some interesting ideas. Although the whole smoked tofu thing grossed me out.
Just curious....

BBQ U runs on PBS here, and I watch it weekly. I complain thru the whole show but I watch it anyway. It's really a decent show and I understand the need to appeal to a broad audiance (although I thought the idea of cable and PBS was to be able to have specialty programming), but why use grills and leave the smokers as set dressing? Use the smokers or change the name of the show to Grilling U.

My thoughts exactly....
This last episode seemed to actually have something smoking in the background...not that he showed anything though.

Just lots of very white smoke billowing by........

First time I saw that show I was actually kind of psyched-- Raichlen does have some good recipes and ideas. He knows what bbq is.

The first recipe was hot dogs stuffed with cheese and jalapenos. As much as I like hot dogs, I changed the channel.

He's always had a WSM (weber sponsored) and a Bandera as set dressing, I noticed this year he's added an egg on the fancy cart. I've seen several seasons of his show and I've seen him use the WSM once and a horz offset once. All those toys and he just don't wanna play:|

yes, his shows are excellent for information, although I agree not very exciting. I also own two of his books :)
GIRLYQUE said:
I have the DVR set up to catch any BBQ shows that are scheduled. And I've been recording the BBQU tv show that Steven Raichlen does. Any of you catch this?

He is not the most entertaining guy but has some interesting ideas. Although the whole smoked tofu thing grossed me out.
Just curious....

He's got a great deal on his bbq-u 'vacation'... Something like $3000 per person for a 3 day bbq lesson, where you have 3 hours of 'class' a day. Great deal, but seems like I'd get a lot more from Dr. BBQ's class for a boatload less cash!

cmcadams said:
He's got a great deal on his bbq-u 'vacation'... Something like $3000 per person for a 3 day bbq lesson, where you have 3 hours of 'class' a day. Great deal, but seems like I'd get a lot more from Dr. BBQ's class for a boatload less cash!

Wow! $3000 for 3 days.

I'd rather by a Klose BYC along with a truck load of beer and read the
Qtalk threads.

If the Q turned out great I would eat it and if it turned out bad I would be to drunk to know.

I am not slamming Raichlin... BBQ USA is what got me really going into bbq cooking, and one of his recipes is something of a basis for my brisket rub.

However, here are the rates (and he's continually selling out of spots):

$4,208.00
Double Occupancy
$3,205.24
2 people staying,
One attending
$2,941.12
Single Occupancy

I agree that you could buy one killer smoker for that money, but you don't get a vacation at the Greenbrier or get to learn from Raichlin (yes, it's kind of meant as a bit of a joke).

Some people aren't willing to do a real class, and they want to be more pampered, I guess... They also have too much money laying around for their own good, I'd say!

My TiVo records his shows as well. I agree with most - not a real good show but he does have some good ideas. I have several of his books, the beer can chicken book is even autographed. A guy (old boss) gave me his autographed book after he took the 3 day BBQ class. Siad it was a great class but he was starting from a much lower point than most of us are at.

From what I understand his "class" is just watching him cook, like his tv show but in person. The main draw I think is being at a resort like the Greenbriar for the weekend, and maybe get a few grilling tips along the way. Hands on classes would be more my style.

Plus lets not forget that his show taught me to soak my wood before i put it on the hot coals...nothing like that white smoke that a wet piece of wood makes! uumm hmmmm, good.

He did a 12 hour clod at 325* in one of them Weber 56" (?) dual handle top dealies, offset last weekend.

Now a clod that sized at 220* (I think it was like 19# boneless) would have taken a day and a half.

I need to find me a clod and hang it in the Dera.

GIRLYQUE said:

Just curious....
ToFu is nasty stuff!

Our VP at work loves that stuff and it just grosses me out how much he puts in his salad!

Just my 2 cents!

May just be me, but I used to farm and ranch and raise soy beans when my cotton got hailed out and lost money on them everytime!

BBQ_MAFIA said:
Wow! $3000 for 3 days.

I'd rather by a Klose BYC along with a truck load of beer and read the
Qtalk threads.

If the Q turned out great I would eat it and if it turned out bad I would be to drunk to know.

I'm with you Guido! LOL!

MoKanMeathead said:
My TiVo records his shows as well. I agree with most - not a real good show but he does have some good ideas. I have several of his books, the beer can chicken book is even autographed. A guy (old boss) gave me his autographed book after he took the 3 day BBQ class. Siad it was a great class but he was starting from a much lower point than most of us are at.

Any chance you can put them on a DVD or upload it onto NCGrimbos FTP server? Please!

I recall seeing something a couple years ago on Food NEtwork where they showed his class at the Greenbrier. It was sort of a show a do kind of class. I think everyone got a grill to cook on and he spent the first two days showing and assisting the class in cooking techniques and such. Then on the third day, the class cooked the whole meal. I don't recall much but I can't remember anything about low and slow.
I'm like Curt, his was the first book I bought when I got rally interested in Que. I still use some of the recipes in there. I got his book the same day I bought my Brinkman ECB, 4 bags of Kingsford and an 8 pound pork roast. Ah Memories....

I watched the PBS show when they were on a fund drive (you know when all the good shows gets lots of interruptions). They showed I think 4 in a row with interrruptions. Very informative, it at least reinforced what I do know and helped me to learn some more. Had to go out a BBQ later that day.

CarbonToe said:
Any chance you can put them on a DVD or upload it onto NCGrimbos FTP server? Please!

Send me your addy. I've got a few on my PVR. Can your DVD player play DVD RWs?

Back