• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

WSM OR Akorn?

Curtc

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have a Yoder YS 640 Pellet grill on the way,that I can't wait to use, but would also like to have one of these that are small and handy, for doing burgers and steaks. And occasional smoking on them also!!!

Thanks

Love me some wsm, but akorn for burgers and steak with occasional smoke would be my vote.

Of course there are other options........:becky:

Well it depends if you like breaking your back grilling on the WSM. Unless of course you have a platform to sit it on. Plus you'd need to mod the WSM with those hood hooks.

Why not use the Yoder for burgers and steaks? Add some GrillGrates and you can get excellent grill marks.

But, if you are choosing between the WSM and the Akorn for grilling, then the Akron. The WSM in a smoker. Yeah, you could put a grate on the bottom section to grill, but it's not ideal.

Love my Akorn for its versatility. Don't have a WSM but I understand they aren't really effective as a grill.

Well it depends if you like breaking your back grilling on the WSM. Unless of course you have a platform to sit it on. Plus you'd need to mod the WSM with those hood hooks.

Just looking at both, to where I can still have the honor of actually using charcoal and wood chunks, but able to cook burgers and steaks.. I did a little research and still a little unclear, on which would be better for grilling?? They come with with wheels, so breaking my back isn't a concern rolling it out of my garage.

Why not use the Yoder for burgers and steaks? Add some GrillGrates and you can get excellent grill marks.

But, if you are choosing between the WSM and the Akorn for grilling, then the Akron. The WSM in a smoker. Yeah, you could put a grate on the bottom section to grill, but it's not ideal.

Yoder will be my primary source for all cooking,and yes grill grates were part of my order. But just would like to have one of these also.. I know they both willl do great smoking, just want to make sure I get the one that will also sear!! Thanks

Just looking at both, to where I can still have the honor of actually using charcoal and wood chunks, but able to cook burgers and steaks.. I did a little research and still a little unclear, on which would be better for grilling?? They come with with wheels, so breaking my back isn't a concern rolling it out of my garage.

To grill on the WSM, you'd have to remove the hood, remove the center section, put the cooking grate (that normally sits on the top of the center section) down over the charcoal ring, which sits around 18 inches (?) or so off the ground. Yeah not ideal.

To grill on the WSM, you'd have to remove the hood, remove the center section, put the cooking grate (that normally sits on the top of the center section) down over the charcoal ring, which sits around 18 inches (?) or so off the ground. Yeah not ideal.

Well so far it sounds like the Akorn!!??

I suggest you get a 22.5" Weber Kettle for grilling things and also for roasting chicken/turkeys. And the WSM for smoking/bbq.

But I've never used an Akorn, so I don't know. With the WSM you'd have two levels of cooking grates.

I dunno.

Char-Griller makes Akorn; I don't know the quality of them. But I know Char-Griller has some issues with quality control with their offset smokers. So just personally, I don't think I'd buy that brand, but never researched it. I believe there are lots here that love their Akorn though.

I do know the OTG and WSM are both quality items that can last you a lifetime.

I suggest you get a 22.5" Weber Kettle for grilling things and also for roasting chicken/turkeys. And the WSM for smoking/bbq.

But I've never used an Akorn, so I don't know. With the WSM you'd have two levels of cooking grates.

I dunno.

Char-Griller makes Akorn; I don't know the quality of them. But I know Char-Griller has some issues with quality control with their offset smokers.

Well Damn: Now I'm really confused LOL

The WSM is just a smoker, but one of the best .. porcelain coated steel that never rusts.

I dunno.

Char-Griller makes Akorn; I don't know the quality of them. But I know Char-Griller has some issues with quality control with their offset smokers. So just personally, I don't think I'd buy that brand, but never researched it. I believe there are lots here that love their Akorn though.

I agree

If you want something that smokes, grills and sears extremely well i'll give you a suggestion.

Does the Akorn have plastic handle and plastic side tables? eek.

Yes they both have side tables, I know the WSM is a better quality, just want to make sure I went with the one that will do burgers and steaks also.. Smoking I know the WSM is a better product, but I was simply confused on the searing?? Sorry for the confusion, just want to to get a smaller kettle to where I can build a fire once in a while, that smokes and sears?

Back