MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:34 PM   #121
Tommyboy48
Full Fledged Farker

Nice build! That is one large firebox my friend!

Thanks from:--->

Old 04-01-2012, 10:37 PM   #122
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I have serious firebox envy right now. Looking great!!!

Old 04-02-2012, 12:08 AM   #123
LoneStarMojo
is one Smokin' Farker

If there were any doubters in the beginning, I'd say you put any doubts to rest on quality and planning. That thing is really well done.
cuz it's not the end..."

Modified Char-Griller / Whalen 37.5" King Kettle [url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108709[/url] / Very near future UDS & 6' x 37" 325 gallon offset projects.
LoneStarMojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2012, 07:00 AM   #124
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks guys! I'm liking the build so far but I'm REALLY liking the firebox. I may be able to do a full cook using a handfull of wood chips if it holds up the way we are hoping.
* XL [COLOR=seagreen]BGE[/COLOR] *Charbroil offset (cheapo) and a *[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125966"]project in the making 6' long x 28" diameter offset[/URL] [COLOR=red]<<<[/COLOR]Take a look!
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2012, 11:19 AM   #125
Crazy Tex
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Matt

Looking good man... lots of work put into that, and planning too!

Old 04-04-2012, 03:22 PM   #126
Bama Q
On the road to being a farker

Enjoyed seeing your progress, Building a smoker is a labor of love and hard work
Jim
Bama Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2012, 04:52 PM   #127
razrbakcrzy
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice...!
[FONT=Arial][B]Future Smoker [/B][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]$5438.25 Total BYC Smoker!![/FONT]

[SIZE=2]Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985 [/SIZE]
razrbakcrzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2012, 07:59 PM   #128
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Q View Post
Enjoyed seeing your progress, Building a smoker is a labor of love and hard work
Jim
Heard that. It's laborious but it's definitely been a lot of fun too. Thank you.

There was some great whole hog pr0n using this cooker!
* XL [COLOR=seagreen]BGE[/COLOR] *Charbroil offset (cheapo) and a *[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125966"]project in the making 6' long x 28" diameter offset[/URL] [COLOR=red]<<<[/COLOR]Take a look!

Old 04-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #129
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Got another update for you guys. Had some rain today but we kept at it for a bit. Went ahead and did the first burn-out today too. Here we go:

The first couple of pictures are of the firebox door. I forgot to bring the spring handles for the dampers so those still need to go on..but we did get the door handle finished. The grip is a solid piece of steel..drilled a hole about 1.5" or so to fit over the round stock. The dampers are 3/16" tread plate.

This is an inside shot of the firebox with the fuel tray.

The next two shots show how we chose to place the damper on the smoke stack. We don't have the handle added to this yet, but it's coming soon also.

The next four shots are just general shots of the rig. We got the handles welded to the door today. The handles are made from 1.5" pipe with tread plate caps on the end. They feel awesome in the hand...like you're gripping something rather than pinching it.

The next shot is a rested hand on the firebox 1.5 hours into the hardcore burnout. I love that firebox. I think it will stay much cooler during a regular cook...might not even warm a beer resting on it...we'll see.

Haven't done a biscuit test yet but I did make sure that we had a couple firebox fire shots for you guys.

There you have it folks! More to come next week! I can't believe how far we've come... It was only February when we were looking at heaps of metal laying in a field... We are really enjoying the project. It's been a lot of fun so far.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:33 PM   #130
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Forgot to ask. As you can see, we don't have any back stops for a door. We were concerned the paint would wear after opening and closing for so long.

Has anyone dipped the stop in silicone or rubber? Whatdyegot?

Old 04-08-2012, 09:07 PM   #131
Tommyboy48
Full Fledged Farker

Wow! That thing is really coming along! Nice fire shots!

Old 04-08-2012, 11:01 PM   #132
Brizz
Full Fledged Farker

Glad this thread got bumped. What a beautiful looking cooker. Someday man, someday...
Brizz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2012, 11:38 PM   #133
schlickenmeyer
Full Fledged Farker

Love the insulated concept. May have to build my own someday now. I will be sure to blame you :P
Weber 22.5" #2, CGSP w/ SFB, CG Akorn, Smokey Joe #2, Mac's BBQ CSG, Blue Thermapen.
schlickenmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2012, 06:58 AM   #134
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlickenmeyer View Post
Love the insulated concept. May have to build my own someday now. I will be sure to blame you :P
Thank you. I think if we would've went with the ceramic wool blanket it would've been even better than it is...one load will last quite a while in this firebox. I'm definitely satisfied with it.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:07 AM   #135
pitbossJB
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : el jefe

Sweet! I can't wait to see the meat shots.

UDS with 007 mods and pizza top
Highly modified Bandera w/ griddle on firebox
Mini SJ/UDS
micro mini UDS
Smokey Joe's
1983 22.5" Weber kettle
pitbossJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jambo clone, offset build, Offset smoker build, smoker build, smoker clone build