MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:58 AM   #1
BPDC
Found some matches.

Default BRISKET... wrap in tin at 170 or not?

I have two brisket going right now. started at 2 a.m. 230 degrees and fat cap down

I'm wondering what the recommendation is on wrapping then with tinfoil at 170?

I've heard you should in order to preserve the juices and I've heard no.... let it stay in the open smoke

What's the best way?
BPDC is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:06 AM   #2
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Wrap it and put a cup of beaf broth in it. Makes a very tender product.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-28-2010, 09:08 AM   #3
Brian in Maine
is Blowin Smoke!

I cook flats, (and am certainly no pro) but I foil between 160* and 165*, with good results.

2 WSMs
2 OTG One red one black
22 1/2" black Bar-B-Kettle with rotisserie ring
Brinkman dual zone charcoal grill
Webber Silver Genises B
3 burner camp stove
Brian in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-28-2010, 10:34 AM   #4
BPDC
Found some matches.

is it uncommon to NOT wrap it in foil ?
or is that the typical and recommended practice for most???

thanks for the reply
BPDC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-28-2010, 11:12 AM   #5
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Somewhere on here is an often recycled pron heavy brisket tutorial. I used it for my first brisket and had decent results. The shortcomings in the final product were my fault. Here is the link. And oh by the way, no foil, no injection, no marinade, KISS (keep it simple, stupid). http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=57882

Old 08-28-2010, 11:50 AM   #6
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Agreed with 42BBQ, its best to keep it simple and eliminate unnecessary variables until you get the hang of it. With limited variables, its easier to identify where mistakes are made.

To answer your question, I find foil helpful in two areas. Once the bark is where I want it, I might foil to keep from getting excess bark or charring. This is usually if the cook is taking a while. Thus the second advantage of foil is that it helps get the temp of the meat up while retaining fluids and moisture.
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-28-2010, 10:20 PM   #7
bob80001
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPDC View Post
I have two brisket going right now. started at 2 a.m. 230 degrees and fat cap down

I'm wondering what the recommendation is on wrapping then with tinfoil at 170?

I've heard you should in order to preserve the juices and I've heard no.... let it stay in the open smoke

What's the best way?
I'm sure it's far too late now, but if you have 2 on, wrap one. See what the difference is, and what you like. I know for me, I got better results when I started foiling. That said, there are plenty of cooks out there that are far better than I am, who would never wrap. My 2¢ (now I'm broke)

Old 08-28-2010, 10:26 PM   #8
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

When I get 18 hours to spend on BBQ, I am going to find the definitive answer to your question. Until then, this is what I understand.

The lower the temperature you cook a brisket, the lower the internal temperature it needs to be tender. The lower the temp under 185 F that you can bring a brisket to tenderness with, the more juicy a brisket will be.

If you are cooking hot and fast, the higher the internal temp needs to be to be tender and foil helps. If you are cooking a brisket at a lower temp, around 225 F, the longer it will take, but it can be ready at around 185 F internal temp. 185 F is the "magic" number. After 180 F - 185 F, brisket begins to dry up, unless you are cooking hot and fast (around 275 F - 290 F) and using foil just as it reaches its plateau.

Hot and fast (which is how I cook brisket) calls for cooking at 275 F - 290 F until internal temp reaches 165. Then foil until internal temp reaches 205 F. Remove from smoker and put in a warming cooler for 2 hours. De-fat the au jus and slice it using the au jus as a sauce. Add whatever sauce you want after that. Using that method, I have NEVER had a dry brisket. Kreuz in Lockhart, TX cooks hot and fast (no foil) and they have some juicy brisket and really juicy boneless shoulder clods, before 2 PM especially.

Good luck.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:52 PM   #9
sampson
is one Smokin' Farker

My vote is for wrapping when the color is where you want it. Then I take to about 190 and cooler for a minimum of three hours... I also agree with the simple concept when it comes to the seasoning. Salt and pepper.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]KCBS Member and CBJ[/FONT]
sampson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2010, 05:21 PM   #10
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

For competition, I cook brisket at 250 in my offset. I foil at 165 with a little beef broth, then start probing about 2 hours later. Unlike pork butt, I believe there is no set temperature for brisket to be done to perfection. I've had the probe slide in like butter at 190 and other times have had to take it to 205. In any case, this method cooks most 15 pound packers in 9 to 10 hours with pretty consistent results.

When I'm not competing, I often cook brisket without foil in the BGE at 210 degrees for 14 -18 hours or even more. I think this method gives you better bark and a more smokey flavor. It's just not predictable enough for competition.

Cooking brisket seems to be a very controversial subject among BBQ cooks, and there are many different opinions about the 'right' and 'wrong' way to do it. The best advice I can give you is to find a method that works for you and your cooker and go with it. Texas crutch or no.
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Smokestack Lightning, Bad Ass Barbecue. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote