How to dispose of hot charcoal

armor

is one Smokin' Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Been a while since I have been on the site. I have 2 BBQ42's that I used when needed to grill. I used a galvenized can as you mentioned with a few inches of sand in the bottom and then shoveled ash onto sand, You dont want to put water on hot coals while in can unless you are careful. Steam and hot ash!

I assume this is directed more towards people who travel to places to BBQ and have to pack up while things are still hot?

I only BBQ at home so I wait 2-3 days before I clean out my firebox to give everything time to burn/cool off. Ashes go into a metal can lined with a plastic bag and that bag eventually makes its way to the regular garbage can (at least a week after the last ashes were added to the can, just to be sure there are no hidden long-term embers).

Likewise, I have a 10 gallon galvanized trash can from ACE Hardware. I let all my coals burn out for 2-3 days then dump them in the can. When the can is nearly full, I'll empty it into a trash bag and out it goes. I also make sure there is plenty of time between emptying the can and placing out for the trash.

"I assume this is directed more towards people who travel to places to BBQ and have to pack up while things are still hot?"

Yes , I was answering a question posted earlier by HBMTN

First of all never touch the charcoal with your bare hands, it is Very Hot!! Remove coals with a shovel and toss in neighbors yard or the adjacent campsite.

That was easy!

My apologies armor, I could not help myself.

Been a while since I have been on the site. I have 2 BBQ42's that I used when needed to grill. I used a galvenized can as you mentioned with a few inches of sand in the bottom and then shoveled ash onto sand, You dont want to put water on hot coals while in can unless you are careful. Steam and hot ash!

You can dampen the sand with water before adding the charcoal. And for a double whammy, have some extra sand in a zipper bag, and pour it on top of the charcoal.

Back