Do you let your neighbors throw something on?

Stonehauler

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Ed
Hey all, got a question. When you go out and fire up your smokers for a long smoke...say pork shoulders or a brisket...and you have extra room in your smoker, do you every invite your neighbors to throw something in?

When I am grilling, I usually take up most of my grill because I am usually cooking for 3-5 days in a single cook, but in the smokers I am looking at and what I would normally put in for a week, I will have a significant amount of extra room. It seems a waste of fuel if I have that much spare room.

Not looking for money for the fuel, asking them to bring a cold beverage, or anything, just a "hey, if you got something you want to put in the smoker, I am planning on a X hour cook on Saturday" type of deal. Come on over anytime after 6 am and feel free to throw in it so long as it's done by 7pm" type of thing.

Big thing I am worried about is food safety, and a little bit of liability. What happens if they burn themselves touching something hot. What happens if someone gets sick because their meat was undercooked when they pulled it, but it was cooked on my equipment? They could claim that the drippings from my food was what made them sick for instance. I cook to a measured temp, not a x hours/pound type of formula, so if I have to cook mine a bit longer, that's fine with me, but more worried about them.

Not looking for the lawyer answer, just your own experiences. Is it worth it, or just let them buy their own dang smokers?

Thanks

If I knew them and liked them, no problem. If I’m concerned about liability with someone i don’t think they would be on my list to cook stuff for.

I never have invited, but I suppose I would if asked.

We were tailgating a few years ago and this guy came up with some hot dogs or something. He had them in a crock pot, and the inverter in his Honda kept tripping out. I tossed them on for him, and he gave me a $20 for gas. I tried really hard to decline, but he was insistent. I felt really bad, but he was happy. :shrug:

Honestly, if I went up to a stranger at a tailgate and asked to use their grill due to a problem in my setup. I would probably insist on overpaying for gas too.

You did a nice thing and you probably saved his bacon (metaphorically) because those are probably the only things his kids would eat...

I think I will just do my own stuff, but if my neighbors comment/ask about it (I've had my HOA president make snide comments about the smell of woodsmoke some days), I just tell them to come over and throw something in.

The next door neighbor is my wife's sister so ya I would if they asked, been here 29 years and haven't yet so there is that :thumb:

Yes!
I have smoked turkeys for family, friends, and neighbors many times.

Some I ask to help out others I prefer they just stay away.

Once all the prep, brine, hanging is done. There is no additional work to the smoke.

Not just turkeys - Jerky, chicken, ham, cheese, whatever I might be smoking.

If I cook something for someone, I want the meat to be frozen and in its original packaging. I want to see that the meat has been properly handled and safely thawed. I used to cook extra turkeys on my big smoker and I got tired of having birds given to me that were not thawed properly. The final straw for me accepting unwrapped birds was when a friend brought me a bird that was warm to touch and temped out over 70F. I told my friend to cook that bird in his oven because I was not risking my reputation on a $10.00 turkey that he thawed out on the kitchen counter over night.

Some people I cooked for did know how to properly handle meat in regards to food safety. I trusted them and let them slide. Most people that wanted me to cook for them had to bring the meat in the package and frozen. All it takes is one person getting sick from something that they did not handle properly for me to get the new name of Ptomaine Juggy.

I've only had one neighbor ever ask me and that's my mom. LoL
All my other neighbors are more than a football field away from me. They all know that every weekend I light something on fire and are welcome anytime.

Ever been to a Brethren Bash? Hell Yeah! Throw it on! If you know what your doing, you can adjust your smoke time. You need to make a Bash and see the reason we are called Brethren. Best Regards

Naw. My neighbors are nice folks but we don't communicate much other than a wave and "hello!". They use a gasser and when the first leaf drops in the fall their grill is packed into their shed. They still haven't got it out. I use my grill year round and probably more in one month than they do all year. I'd share if they asked but grilling and smoking doesn't seem to be their thing. At least not on the scale I do it at. It's all good cause I like quiet neighbors.:-D

Back