SRF Beef at Costco...

PBrug

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I took a trip to the local Costco this evening, to get some steaks for the weekend. While browsing the cooler, I stumbled upon some SRF products. They had whole Strips, cut Strip steaks, whole Sirloin and cut Sirloin steaks. I don't recall the price of the whole Strip, but the Strip steaks were $24.99/lb. The whole Sirloin was about $8.99/lb and the Strip steaks were $10.99/lb.

I don't recall ever seeing SRF products at Costco. Wondering if it's just a Father's Day weekend deal, or something they'll continue to carry. They also had some pork belly for the first time in forever, which I bought both they had, so I'm thinking it may be a "grilling" weekend thing...

35328486_10213702597333997_8170545011369181184_n.jpg

35403075_10213702597133992_8198929359306752000_n.jpg

35329613_10213702597213994_8333534699515281408_n.jpg

I opted for the Costco Prime Strips and Prime Cowboys Ribeyes (another item I don't usually see at Costco), as they were about 1/2 the price of the SRF Strips, and I've always felt the Costco Prime is the best bang for the buck...

35357226_10213702596733982_6059480998117113856_n.jpg

Gonna be a good weekend :-D

Saw that.......passed on the price.

SRF might be the gold standard here, but WAY too rich for my budget.

I'll cook regular pedestrian cuts and enjoy them.

Maybe they're trying to keep up with Sam's Club. The ones near me that have been remodeled have a new meat counter with "kobe" beef, but the marbling on it is insane and it's delicious. Goes for $35/lb so I don't get it often, but when I feel like splurging, one of those ribeyes is what I gravitate to. And it's still cheaper than a steak dinner out at a restaurant, so whatever.

When I want to splurge, I'll see a butcher shop.

I prefer to turn regular, non in vogue gourmet cuts of meat into smoking / grilling master pieces.

The Kobe / Wagyu cachet doesn't warrant the price for me.

Real Kobe beef is more like $35 an ounce! Our Sams shut down and I have not seen the SRF in our Costco yet. I would buy it if they had cuts I wanted.

I know, it's probably wagyu/wagyu hybrid and then the marketing department happened, but it was the best steak I've ever eaten, for sure. Worth every penny as far as I'm concerned, but their angus cowboy ribeyes at $8.xx/lb are my go-to otherwise.

There's more to wagyu and other higher end beef than just the level of marbling speckled through the meat, the flavor is very different. I see what you're saying though, sometimes I'll find a particularly nice tray of steaks from Costco labeled as choice that have similar looking marbling to the first couple pics in OP.

Here's an example of one of the "kobe" whatever steaks from Sam's. The camera doesn't really do justice (nor does the resolution downscaling of the picture attachment) to the marbling but they really are impressive in person, especially when it's in your mouth.

Attachments

• ribeye.jpg
    ribeye.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 394
Costco will sometimes carry SRF beef around certain holidays. I like to wait a day or two after the holiday when Costco will usually have it marked down to about half price. I always score SRF corned beef after St. Patty's Day and freeze a few.

Costco will sometimes carry SRF beef around certain holidays. I like to wait a day or two after the holiday when Costco will usually have it marked down to about half price. I always score SRF corned beef after St. Patty's Day and freeze a few.

Good to know, thanks!

Picked up some tomahawk prime ribeyes from Costco and was hoping to find some SRF meat, but my store didn’t have any. The cowboy ribeyes must be a Father’s Day special as I have never seen them prior

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

All those steaks look amazing to me. My wife has me buying only grass fed red meat and pastured organic pork and chicken which I'm not complaining but there is something about the flavor of those fatty grain fed prime steaks that can't replicated with grass fed.

I saw them here in Seattle too. Almost bought the tri tip wagyu @ $14.99/lb but they didn’t look much better than the prime tri tip that they carry which I think is excellent.

If too ended up with a couple tomahawk ribeyes :icon_shy

I think that the speculation that it was a "Special" for Father's Day in select locations is correct. Certainly didn't see them at my Local Costco. I did see the 2 pack of Tomahawks though and bought a pack - it's what's for Dinner tonight!:thumb:

Inspired by this and some other Costco threads, I made the decision to try my luck at the local Costco in Elkrdige, MD. Unfortunately, no SRF products and the Prime grade beef choices were limited and uninspiring in their marbeling. Oh well!

Will have to console myself with a couple rib eyes from Sprouts. :cool:

Bruce

...and not available to the general public.

In the USA, correct, you can only buy real Kobe beef at one of less than a dozen restaurants. In Japan it can be found in retail cases, but still quite pricey and you can’t (legally) bring it back to the US.

Back