Our Commercial Kitchen is approved!!

Bossmanbbq

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Thought I would share that the state health department approved our use of a commercial kitchen at our senior citizen center. The deal I worked out with the center is in exchange of use of the center we would do a catered BBQ dinnner for them once a year and give a donation once a year:-D

I had to ask for a varience on the mop sink and the water heater. Two hours after I submitted the request with our paper work we were approved!! I guess now the hard work begins. Were pretty excited and so I thought I should share this with you all. Thanks again for all your help and support:wink:

Congrats, Bossman. Hope you have a long and sucessful relationship with the senior center. Sounds like a great deal.

Congrats Bossman and your right about the hard work,i hope it don't take your enjoyment of cooking away.

Way to go, Bossman! That sounds like a sweet deal. Have fun-- and what Joe said about the pics....

Congrats, Bossman! We were rejected by the church board of directors to use our church's kitchen as a catering kitchen... might look into doing it in a different church kitchen. If we do, the one we attend might wish they'd made different decisions!

Jeff_in_KC said:
Congrats, Bossman! We were rejected by the church board of directors to use our church's kitchen as a catering kitchen... might look into doing it in a different church kitchen. If we do, the one we attend might wish they'd made different decisions!
I hope you're not forced to change denominations in order to do so.

Joe as soon as I can I'll get the pictures out, I have to go and purchase the commercial refridgerator and when I do that I'll take some pictures and post them

Jeff_in_KC said:

Not sure of you situation, but in many places, the commercial use of church property can and most likely will, place the tax-exempt status of the property in jeopardy. Mainly referring to property taxes here, not necessarily IRS. That is the deal here in my area. We have had to turn down similar proposals to use the church kitchen for catering, or to pack sauces, preserves etc. because our attorney has advised us that we would negate our property tax exemption.

Makes sense... petty as hell on the part of the IRS but given the circumstances, I can see their point.

Jeff_in_KC said:

One thing, do you have or did you mention obtaining liability insurance. I had a chat with a board member recently and he said the FIRST question asked is regarding insurance...the church doesn't want to be left hanging if you have problems...

Just a thought!

Actually, not-for-profits can have revenue generating enterprises, but the "profit" has to go directly back to the not-for-profit for use in the not-for-profit enterprise.

On the other hand, it's a great "out" for an organization that doesn't want to mess with this type of an agreement. It's a toss-up as to which came into play.

Back