Planning a wedding

CoreyM

Reaction score
I just got engaged last week and my fiance and I are planning on getting married Oct 8, 2011. We're paying the entire wedding out of pocket so we're trying to make it affordable. My fiance has a massive family that all expect to be there so we're looking at 150 people.

Any of you guys in the CT/RI area that do wedding catering? I'm already in over my head so if anyone is interested please let me know. And while you're getting in touch with me please let me know what other services you can offer as far as set up rentals etc.

We're trying to do this wedding for under $10,000 is this a pipedream?

If this is in the wrong place sorry about that!

My son and his wife did their for around that, very nice affair. probably about the same amount of people. Good Luck to you and your Fiance!

not at all, vegas weddings are cheap, go get married, get settled down, and then thrown a married party for all your wives friends.

Congrats BTW!

Just to let you know. It CAN be done!! Our wedding ended up around $5500, with 300 people. Good Luck!

Congrats on your upcoming nuptials, my wife and I were also married on Oct 8th. We had our reception catered by a local BBQ guy in San Luis Obispo, I think the cost was about $7-$8 per head (300+ guests). Depending on how many guests you plan to invite, I am sure you can keep in within your budget if you do your homework and cut corners where you can.

edit - I believe we picked up the meat/chicken and had him cook it, he also supplied all side dishes...etc.

Last edited:
Just to let you know. It CAN be done!! Our wedding ended up around $5500, with 300 people. Good Luck!

Take the other $4500 and ya can buy just about any pit/smoker ya want. Nothing happier than a new wife fed with good food :becky:

Yup grab the $10,000 and run down and have bbq at Wilsons in Fairfield. Just kidding if you can find a caterer I'd be than happy to help out in any way that I can.

Yup! and I feel for ya as the wife and I did our wedding for 150 for about $3,800 10 years ago. Nothing fancy.

remember, it's not about being fancy - it's about getting married...joined with the one you love and who loves you. If you can't do it for $10,000, then one of you is focusing on the event and not the marriage. IMO, of course.

Lord's richest blessings to you two as you prepare to be wed - and may He bless you with many, many happy years together.

I feel bad for you. My fiance has taken the reigns on our wedding day. I don't have to do any planning at all.

And you think your fiance has a massive family? Right now, we have 437 people on our invite list, and that list is still growing...

I feel bad for you. My fiance has taken the reigns on our wedding day. I don't have to do any planning at all.

And you think your fiance has a massive family? Right now, we have 437 people on our invite list, and that list is still growing...

No you don't because it sounds like daddy (in law) is footing the bill. If YOU had to pay for it you would be involved. :rolleyes:

The kackle that the wife and I put up was OUR money and not an signed check. Cold hard cash out of MY bottom line and not in in laws because FIL is a dead beat and MIL is disabled. I got lucky on the fact that my dad sprung for the rehersal dinner unannounced and unexpected (or requested) as I had plans to pay for that also.

??? Would you rather have the $20K $30K in savings as a gift or a fancy wedding ???

YMMV

Cheers

Easy guys. Remember weddings are to be celebrated.

If you don't get anyone else, I will fly in to help. You just have to promise to get counseling if you ever consider breaking up. Marriages are fun, exciting, and hard.

Congrats.

No you don't because it sounds like daddy (in law) is footing the bill. If YOU had to pay for it you would be involved. :rolleyes:

The kackle that the wife and I put up was OUR money and not an signed check. Cold hard cash out of MY bottom line and not in in laws because FIL is a dead beat and MIL is disabled. I got lucky on the fact that my dad sprung for the rehersal dinner unannounced and unexpected (or requested) as I had plans to pay for that also.

??? Would you rather have the $20K $30K in savings as a gift or a fancy wedding ???

YMMV

Cheers

I guess my fiance and I are lucky enough that we both have jobs where we have been very successful and our companies have awarded us accordingly.

Also, who says that just because she plans it, it has to be fancy? Think about it, little girls dream about planning a wedding since they have been very young. Now all of a sudden you turn it into a saturday bbq. Doesn't sound like the day she was looking forward to, does it? (I mean unless that IS what she was planning then ignore what I just said. Plus, congratulations on finding a real keeper.)

I am lucky then. I have a smart fiance who is well aware what our budget is. I can sit back and let her plan out her day the way she wants. I trust her to stay within budget. I don't have to intervene and tell her what she can and can't do. I am sorry you didn't trust yours to do the same. But thanks for making the assumption about us...

Back