A Thank You To The Brethren!!!!!!, and some late Thanksgiving pics.

M

Missinglink99

When I was struggling to cook on my chitty 2 door Brinkman vertical I found The Brethen. There were a couple of mods that I tried that were found on The Brethen, but the darn thing would not hold temps for nothing. It was either two cold or burning meat to char.
One night I decided to cook some ribs. Temps were steady at 225 for about 2 hours, so I decided to get some shut eye. I woke up to the alarm chirping at 400 degrees and my 2 racks of ribs were burnt to a char. I know some of this is my fault (alarm prob went of for 30 mins). Cant't blame it all on the smoker all the time.
That was my breaking point! I turned to craiglist and found me a drum for $8. I read over all of the UDS posts and then visited my local Lowes to pick up some hardware and this is what we have.
SANY0611.jpg

I truly used the KISS method with this drum. Just drilled a hole on the top and the 3 holes on the bottom and threaded the ball valve on it. Right now I am using 2 rags to shut of the other 2 holes. I plan on welding an exhaust pipe on top and add the other 2 caps on the bottom holes.
SANY0612.jpg

For the charcoal basket I used an old off brand mini kettle I had sitting around the garage. Took the legs, and ash pan off and there you have it. And it even has a handle for easy removal.
SANY0613.jpg

I just sit it on 2 bricks right by the control valve to allow for the best air flow and control.

Thank You for helping me create one of the best T-day Feasts!!!!!!!!
I cooked a 7lb Turkey Breast for Thanksgiving. I ejected it with some creole butter and stuff with garlic cloves. I rubbed under the skin with the creole seasoning that came with the butter. The skin was tough so we just removed the skin and went on. I would have to say that was the juiciest turkey that I have ever eaten.
SANY0620.jpg

SANY0586.jpg

SANY0587.jpg

Thank You for the endless amount of information and priceless amount of knowledge listed on one forum. My family's appetite is very Thankful.

That is, without a doubt, one of the 'U'est UDS's I've ever seen! But that turkey looks outstanding! Nice job! :clap2:

I agree with Mister Bob on the looks,.... but that just goes to shows you "Its not what's on the outside, but what's on the inside" ! :wink: Good job Missinglink99. Loves me some smoked turkey breast.

Love the story behind it, good job. I have no doubt you will be enjoying your UDS for a long time.

Very nice. I'm pretty much convinced the only reason to take the "U" out of the UDS is to avoid trouble with the spouse and neighbors. :)

The thanx goes to you... for brousing thru the entire UDS thread!

Way to go and congrats! Very good job!

:clap2::clap2::thumb:

That sure is one UGLY drum smoker!!:becky:
Ain't it amazing how something that ugly can put out something that PURTY?!??!

Nice work!!!

Nice bird there!
Keep on smokin'!

It just goes to prove that (drum) looks don't matter. I especially approve of that high tech exhaust system. Did you make that with a metric or SAE pick axe?

It just goes to prove that (drum) looks don't matter. I especially approve of that high tech exhaust system. Did you make that with a metric or SAE pick axe?

Well the nice folks at Lowes told me to use one of these to drill the holes http://www.lowes.com/pd_300702-70-PC100L_4294857551+4294867793_4294937087_?productId=3031564&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Hole%2BSaw_4294857551%2B4294867793_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1&facetInfo=Hole%20Saw

It broke after the hole for the ball valve. That is why I could not drill the proper diameter of holes for the other 2 at bottom. So I still used it to drill the top hole also.

My goal was to have the ugliest drum on The Brethen.

Back