• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Please help - spares not yet thawed!!

theTastyCat

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey all - just got the two 3-packs out of the fridge; they'd been in the freezer until yesterday noon. They aren't thawed yet!! Wanted to have them in in an hour. I've got them in the tub under cold water; is there anything faster I can do, especially since they're three thick? Kinda hate to open it and have dinner sitting bare in the bathtub :/

Many thanks for any help!!

Once they thaw enough, separate them. The water bath may not satisfy the health department, but I have done it short times. Keep the water. Keep the water changed and cold

If they're partially thawed, you should be able to separate them. Then just sit them on the counter or in a pan. They'll finish thawing quickly. If they're still a bit frosty inside, just throw em on the smoker. They'll be fine. Maybe not ideal, but they'll be fine. I've seen people throw flat out frozen solid racks on the smoker and cook em before.

I have actually cooked a semi-frozen three pack before, just thawed enough to get the cryo off. Then once they've been on the cooker, and thawed, dusted with rub and got them cooking again.

Yep, not ideal. But, I didn't die and the ribs were fine

Worked like a charm!! THANK you guys!! Only about an hour behind schedule; I can make that up! Happy Memorial Day!!

FWIW, on something as thin as ribs, use room temp or even slightly warm water. Won't hurt a bit.

LOL I have thawed in hot water many times ....its amazing how we worry about things these days ...think about the things your parents did or cooked and we are still here ...I would thaw those ribs in 15 minutes and cook ...but thats just me ...we had lead paint ((shrugs))

My grandma used hot water, my mom used hot water, I use hot water. None of us ever got sick or died. When I do use hot water, I try and get things out and cooking as soon as I can though. Even if it might still be slightly frosty in the middle.

Average day, I use cold water and keep it cold as was pointed out earlier.

I thaw alot using the sink.. just room temp water and let it run for a bit on the package.. and done..

That being said.. pork is ALOT cleaner than it used to be, i even get my pork steaks medium now.. no well done

Back