• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Thanks George, I had not thought of there being a right way to position the one touch handle. I'll move it today.

Just joined the club today! Picked up the gas-less Performer from Academy today for $100. They had 2 clearance models on the floor.. one marked for $149 and the other for $100. Figured it had to be a misprint but I took a chance and rolled it to checkout. Next thing I know, Academy dude is helping me roll it to the car.

Cooked some ribs using Royal Oak in the little indirect charcoal basket things and was very impressed. Now I need a cover.

A couple weeks ago we bought our oldest daughter her first grill... A Weber One Touch Gold! She wants to compete in the "Kids Q" at the events this year. She is 6 years old. When we were assembling her grill, she looked at me and said "Daddy, now this is a day I will never forget." PRICELESS!!!

523776_372208046143481_100000628666040_1201626_1906047036_n.jpg

:thumb:

Toad

Newbie to Weber Kettle here. Do you guys close the top and bottom most of the way to do low and slow on this sucker or just the top? Im having a hard time getting under 325 degrees and ive got a brisket goin.

Newbie to Weber Kettle here. Do you guys close the top and bottom most of the way to do low and slow on this sucker or just the top? Im having a hard time getting under 325 degrees and ive got a brisket goin.

Bottom mostly closed, top open. If that does not keep it low, start closing off the top vent. Also, you may have too many coals lit. You only need a few- maybe 6-8.

Don't close your top any more than 1/2 closed, and pinch off your bottoms almost completely shut and see what that does for ya, if it cools it down too much open them up a smidge or vise versa. Happy grilling your briskit will turn out just fine, relax! :)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Bottom mostly closed, top open. If that does not keep it low, start closing off the top vent. Also, you may have too many coals lit. You only need a few- maybe 6-8.

6-8 for a whole day smoke?? I did a whole chimney of coals using the minion method and poured them on top of 10-12 more that were unlit. Damn

Thats 6-8 coals on top of a pile of unlit charcoal, banked on the opposite side from the meat. Do a search below for indirect method.

Thats 6-8 coals on top of a pile of unlit charcoal, banked on the opposite side from the meat. Do a search below for indirect method.

ok i have about 10 on top of a pile. opposite side of the kettle. bottom is now close and top is now open. will open bottom up a tiny bit once i can get this hear down a bit. im down to about 300. was at 325-350 for a good first 30 mins.

does it make sense to have the drip tray double as the water tray underneath the meat or should you have the water directly over the coals?

I have the top all the way open. I have problems seeing how far I have closed the one touch vents on the bottom. Close it too far and the charcoal goes out. Open too much and it gets hot. I have a couple of pieces of wire that I have. One wire is a piece of coat hanger (about 3/32" dia.) The other is about 1/8" diameter. When I want to reduce the air without smothering the coals I stick the end of the wire through the vent slot and slide the lower vent arm to the left until the blade inside touches the wire. The larger wire keep the temp around 300. The coat hanger wire keeps the temp around 250. I'm not a fan of having to bend all the way over to see how much of the lower vent is open (too old & fat). I also don't care to put paint marks on the bowl to mark where the handle shold be. With the wire method, I can set it with my eyes closed.

Vintage Weber restoration help needed, or possibly a coroner's judgment

So I notice that a Bachelor neighbor of mine has a vintage weber kettle with no legs sitting on his rock pile, but he now has a new gasser. After a few beers, I asked him if I could take the kettle off of his hands, and he said I would be doing him a favor.

Good News: It appears to be a pre-79 metal handle jobber
Bad News: Not only is it missing the legs, etc, but also the RECEIVERS for the legs. Unfortunately, where the rivets or bolts went through, there are now holes that my index finger can fit through. Is there any hope? Or a creative mod? I would love to get the bottom-end Kit, but it wont bolt on as it sits. Enjoy the pictures.

I do have a UDS that doesn't fit a 22.5" lid, so I could cut out the bottom of the kettle, and use it as a mating feature, but I really dont want to trash a vintage kettle if I dont need to.

Oh, and I included a picture of the Grill itself. He warned me that I need to cook around the edges . . . . . go figure, with missing one of his vent covers.:tsk:

Please advise.:pray:

Attachments

• IMG_1146.jpg
    IMG_1146.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 404
  • IMG_1148.jpg
    IMG_1148.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 401
  • IMG_1149.jpg
    IMG_1149.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 401
  • IMG_1150.jpg
    IMG_1150.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 401
...I really dont want to trash a vintage kettle if I dont need to.

FYI, it's already trashed.

Cut the bowl up and use it for the UDS. It wants you too. It's CRYING OUT for you to do something so it can be a productive member of the outdoor cooking community!

Thanks everyone. I't is a hard message to hear, but I believe you guys are spot-on!

Good excuse to build my next UDS.

So I notice that a Bachelor neighbor of mine has a vintage weber kettle with no legs sitting on his rock pile, but he now has a new gasser. After a few beers, I asked him if I could take the kettle off of his hands, and he said I would be doing him a favor.

Good News: It appears to be a pre-79 metal handle jobber
Bad News: Not only is it missing the legs, etc, but also the RECEIVERS for the legs. Unfortunately, where the rivets or bolts went through, there are now holes that my index finger can fit through. Is there any hope? Or a creative mod? I would love to get the bottom-end Kit, but it wont bolt on as it sits. Enjoy the pictures.

I do have a UDS that doesn't fit a 22.5" lid, so I could cut out the bottom of the kettle, and use it as a mating feature, but I really dont want to trash a vintage kettle if I dont need to.

Oh, and I included a picture of the Grill itself. He warned me that I need to cook around the edges . . . . . go figure, with missing one of his vent covers.:tsk:

Please advise.:pray:

Use that base to make a Swamprb (un)patented Weber Flange Mod, as shown in this post - http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1808790&postcount=7

Or you can use the base to make a redneck fire pit

I blame you guys.

I'm driving down the road today and see a Yellow Weber next to a house and go 'hey, that's a rare color, I wonder if they want to sell it'.

:blabla:

No, I didn't stop.

Back