MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

View Poll Results: Should the KCBS ban garnish
Ban it 73 50.69%
Keep it 71 49.31%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-07-2007, 06:50 AM   #1
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Ban KCBS garnish?

If you do not like the garnish (even though it's optional and few have the cajones to submit without myself included) voice your opinion here http://www.tossthelettuce.com/
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2007, 07:01 AM   #2
MilitantSquatter

Sled... Thanks for making me put my name on a petition from 2005 !!

Are you planning to revive this issue and present it at the KCBS annual rules meeting next month ? Is it part of your BOD nominee platform ?
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2007, 07:14 AM   #3
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

83 signature's in 2 yr's...............good luck!
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2007, 07:18 AM   #4
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Here is a site in favor http://keepthelettuce.com/
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]

Old 12-07-2007, 07:30 AM   #5
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Can the organizer of a sanctioned KCBS event stipulate a no garnish rule?

Old 12-07-2007, 07:51 AM   #6
Transformer BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
Can the organizer of a sanctioned KCBS event stipulate a no garnish rule?

I don't think so...

I wonder how many people who are signed up there feel so strongly about it that they personally don't put garnish in the box...
Transformer BBQ
FEC 100, Lang 60M, Jamie Geer Backyard
Viking Professional Gasser
Transformer BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2007, 07:57 AM   #7
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transformer BBQ View Post
I don't think so...

I wonder how many people who are signed up there feel so strongly about it that they personally don't put garnish in the box...
Why would we do that ? As long as it's 'optional' I think your putting yourself at a disadvantage if you don't use it. I don't throw my vote away on third party candidates either.

This post is my opinion and mine alone, not necessarily that of the KCBS, it's board of directors or office nor that of Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and certainly not Rush Limbaugh.
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2007, 08:05 AM   #8
Transformer BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBBQ View Post
Why would we do that ? As long as it's 'optional' I think your putting yourself at a disadvantage if you don't use it. I don't throw my vote away on third party candidates either.

What's the reason you would be against garnish?
Transformer BBQ

Old 12-07-2007, 08:10 AM   #9
PigBoy
Full Fledged Farker

If it's a KCBS sanctioned contest, the organizer can not change the rules on the 4 main categories. Auxiliary categories are at the descretion of the organizer. I personally like the garnish if nothing more but to keep the meat in place. I just hope that the judges look at the appearence of the meat more than the greens. The garnish can distract from the meat though.

Pork Pullin Plowboys
www.plowboysbbq.com
www.hinckfarms.com

Traeger 200, Kingfisher Commercial, Bandera, Weber Kettle
PigBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2007, 08:11 AM   #10
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

i say keep the lettuce! in our first competition, my Mother got the title "Chief ln Charge of Lettuce"(we're gonna make her a t-shirt this season). it was nice having her being such an important part of our team as she was instrumental in introducing me to Barbeque in the first place when i was a kid (long story that i will post up soon). she also got alot of satisfaction making sure all the boxes looked perfect as they went out and had a great time doing it so it was nice to have something for her to do, so again i say... KEEP THE LETTUCE!

phil
rookiedad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2007, 08:22 AM   #11
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transformer BBQ View Post
What's the reason you would be against garnish?
Because I'm sick of driving to 3 different supermarkets to find some decent lettuce and Parsley and some of the comments I've heard from judges about garnish are scary.

This post is my opinion and mine alone, not necessarily that of the KCBS, it's board of directors or office nor that of Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and certainly not Rush Limbaugh.
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2007, 08:47 AM   #12
Transformer BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBBQ View Post
Because I'm sick of driving to 3 different supermarkets to find some decent lettuce and Parsley and some of the comments I've heard from judges about garnish are scary.
Yeah, I can understand that. I certainly have made myself crazy at some contests when I open up the cooler and it looks like dead leaves... and I end up having to send someone out to get stuff 2 hours before turn in.
Transformer BBQ

Old 12-07-2007, 08:48 AM   #13
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

I like the garnish...or better put, the garnish doesnt bother me. After doing contests without garnish I really think that it is easier to put together a good looking box with garnish than without.
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2007, 08:56 AM   #14
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Personally, I'm against it because I've heard too many judges say, "I gave them a 6 in appearance because the lettuce was not full enough/covered the meat/had sauce on it/pick any other reason. If the contest is about the meat, why are they judging the garnish?

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2007, 09:29 AM   #15
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

I was initially against keeping the garnish, if the contest is about the meat, then just present the meat. But now that I've done a few and learned a bit about doing garnish I think it enhances the presentation to the point that I'd rather have it there. I think there has to be some serious education of the judges to be sure they are not judging the garnish and that it shouldn't have a significant impact on the presentation....even though it does. I'm still learning how to do it well, but find it very satisfying and can't see not doing it. It is an option, if there is downscoring because of it, I see it as a judges issue not a competitors issue. Scott
1 Weber performer, 1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
1 FEC 100
Team BBQ-Brethren.com
KCBS Certified Judge #9079
Yakfishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote