Weber One Touch Platinum Discontinued?

Foxfire

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
About a year and a half ago I bought a brick red OTP because I liked the dual side tables and higher-than-average grill height.but noticed it's not currently listed on the Weber site -- just the silver, gold, and performer. Did I wind up with a one-day collector's item?

It appears so.
They have a new "Performer Silver", and now call the other Performers "Platinum" or "Gold", depending on whether it has the propane ignition or not.

dual side tables and higher-than-average grill height
exactly the reasons why I think the OTP was severely underrated. why you would spend a 100 bucks more to have propane assist boggles my mind. Thought I was going to need an ice pack for my lower back on thanksgiving after grilling on a performer

Yeah, the standard kettle height is pretty low, all things considered. My back can tell when I've been cooking over my 26".

My one and only complaint about the OTP is the dome design. I love how the handle is in the front and opens straight back into the catcher on the rear of the grill, but that design puts the daisy wheel exhaust dead center on top of the grill dome. No problem when doing high-heat grilling, but the first few times I tried doing a low-temp smoke I learned that an indirect charcoal setup wasn't ideal. If you stack the lit coals on, say, the left side of the grill, you loose a lot of smoke and heat going right out the center exhaust vent before it even reaches the meat on the right side. It helps to split the coals on both left and right sides and put your meat in the middle, but still seems less efficient than other kettle models that let you spin the lid and place the offset exhaust vent wherever you like to control the directional flow of smoke and heat.

But considering I can smoke on other cookers, I love grilling on my OTP and happy to have a cooker that someday may be considered kind of rare!

EDIT: And I agree, the propane assist seems like it'd be somewhat handy but I dunno if I'd personally use it enough for the added cost. Although I do get jealous of that performer blue!

Love my propane assist, granted I only paid 199 when they went on clearance at home depot last year. Love my performer .

My only prob with propane assist lighting is the cheap arse in me. A chimney and 2 pieces of paper is as easy as it gets

it plain didn't sell well. it was panned badly. the design and price were a big problem.

My only prob with propane assist lighting is the cheap arse in me. A chimney and 2 pieces of paper is as easy as it gets

My vintage performer I picked on CL this summer will not run out of propane. That little white tank is great.

Best of both worlds, load up the chimney and put on top of the propane burner. :-D

Back