MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
Rubmybutt
Full Fledged Farker

Default Is it OK to add smoke to a smoked ham???

I have a bone in Kor-Bert smoked ham and I have heard that adding or resmoking an already smoked ham will taste even better, is this true or false? Thank you.
Fast Eddy 100-Backwoods Competitor- Backwoods Extended Party-Cookshack SM-160 Weber Smokey Mountian 22.5-New Broanfels offset-Fire Majic Aurora 660A-Weber Genisis (1979)-Weber Genisis 330-Weber Performer-Weber kettle 22.5
Cajun Injector turkey fryer
Fastest [COLOR=darkorange]ORANGE[/COLOR] splash-proof Thermapan BBQ Guru WIFI.
Just one my first chili cookoff Dec 1st 2012
Rubmybutt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2011, 03:16 PM   #2
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : hamiltont

I guess it depends on how "smoky" the ham is to begin with. Most of the store bought ones aren't too smoky and I've had great luck giving them a double smoke. The hams I get are precooked so basically it's just a low (200F) smoke to an internal of 145F. I've also cured fresh hams & smoked them to 145F internal. Unbelievably better than a double smoked store bought ham for sure. Cheers!!!

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-29-2011, 03:23 PM   #3
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

It's more than ok to smoke a smoked ham - around my house, it's mandatory on Thanksgiving!
Apparently there's a great recipe called "Dr. Chicken's Double Smoked Ham" around here somewhere - I've never tried it myself, but people rave about it.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2011, 03:29 PM   #4
Rubmybutt
Full Fledged Farker

I saw a post here not long ago that one pron show'd running new slice marks around the ham to allow more smoke into the center and then of course a very rich drizzle of prailene strawberry glaze? Does this work for you?
Fast Eddy 100-Backwoods Competitor- Backwoods Extended Party-Cookshack SM-160 Weber Smokey Mountian 22.5-New Broanfels offset-Fire Majic Aurora 660A-Weber Genisis (1979)-Weber Genisis 330-Weber Performer-Weber kettle 22.5
Cajun Injector turkey fryer
Fastest [COLOR=darkorange]ORANGE[/COLOR] splash-proof Thermapan BBQ Guru WIFI.
Just one my first chili cookoff Dec 1st 2012
Rubmybutt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2011, 03:54 PM   #5
gtr

That plan seems sound to me

We used to score hams in a diamond pattern at this BBQ restaurant I worked at - we'd stick cloves in the center of each diamond. We'd glaze with a mixture of pineapple juice, butter, and brown sugar. Great stuff.

I haven't been doing it at home 'cause I've been using a pepper rind ham and I've had good luck with just sticking it in the cooker and letting it be. I may try the scoring thing next time - haven't thought about it in a while.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?

Old 11-29-2011, 04:14 PM   #6
Divemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
That plan seems sound to me

We used to score hams in a diamond pattern at this BBQ restaurant I worked at - we'd stick cloves in the center of each diamond. We'd glaze with a mixture of pineapple juice, butter, and brown sugar. Great stuff.

I haven't been doing it at home 'cause I've been using a pepper rind ham and I've had good luck with just sticking it in the cooker and letting it be. I may try the scoring thing next time - haven't thought about it in a while.
I do the same thing but my glaze is brown sugar, maple syrup, cayanne pepper, and a bit of Jack Daniels to thin it down a touch. I've also been known to add some dry mustard into the glaze.

I've been thinking about this an have come to the conclusion that in the last 11 months I've double smoked about 150 pounds of ham and the year isn't over!
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2011, 04:33 PM   #7
gtr

^^^that's almost like a pig candy glaze type deal - sounds fanfarkingtastic!
WTFWGALD?

Old 11-29-2011, 04:49 PM   #8
mytmouz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
It's more than ok to smoke a smoked ham - around my house, it's mandatory on Thanksgiving!
Apparently there's a great recipe called "Dr. Chicken's Double Smoked Ham" around here somewhere - I've never tried it myself, but people rave about it.
I did this for Thanksgiving. Scored it as it called for in the recipe. Major kudos were given by the picky inlaws...

Trailer mounted reverse flow stick burner. Rehomed
Weber Kettle #1 Black. Rehomed
Weber Kettle #2 Copper
Weber Kettle #3, Dads old cooker. Rehomed
Brinkman electric. Rehomed
Weber Smokey Joe. Rehomed
Small Sunbeam tailgater. Rehomed
Brinkman vertical smoker. Rehomed
Little Chief electric smoker. Rehomed
And 2 UDS go to set ups... Rehomed
mytmouz is offline   Reply With Quote