Pleasant Hill, MO (April 4-5, 2008)

Jeff_in_KC

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Just wanted to give an update on the Brain Injury Association Contest and will use this thread to provide further info as we go along.

We're getting a ton of traffic on our Web site since the new year arrived as teams start planning schedules. The entry forms are starting to come in now so don't hold off long if you're planning to cook this event! Our goal is 50 teams and payout will be 100% of the entry fees less KCBS sanctioning fees.

We had a great write-up in the local paper this week announcing the contest. We got front page, top half main headline! I have received a couple of messages from that article about volunteers.

We are planning to run the Kids Q like the Sedalia contest does: two categories and an overall winner. Since we're doing this on Friday night, we MAY be in need of a few judges for that...

I am forwarding a bunch of judge requests to Jamey so I think our goal of 100% CBJs should be close if not right on!

Hope to see a lot of you out here in April! Let me, Stan, Aimee or Jamey know if you have any questions... I guess I just realized this is pretty much a Brethren run contest! :lol:

Jeff, I just signed up to volunteer and/or to judge. Let me know if you need help prior to the competition.

Our entry should be in by now. That will be our first contest.

I'm obviously pretty new to this, but would like to try and do a couple contests this year...Would this be a good one for a newbie that doesn't really know what he's doing?

I'm obviously pretty new to this, but would like to try and do a couple contests this year...Would this be a good one for a newbie that doesn't really know what he's doing?

Will you have your Backwoods by then? If I hadn't already volunteered to help at this comp, I'd be available as a consultant (in trade for beer). Maybe Jeff can set me up as you concierge, that would allow me to help out. Keep in mind, I only have 1 real year of experience in comps, about 5 other years helping another team, and by help I mean drinking beer and opening the smoker like I was a 5 year old trying to find out how the light was always on in the refridge.

I hope to have it by then...but not sure...I've got to several BBQ contests in the past few years, but I've never known anyone that I could hang out with...More than anything I just want to know the process, no secrets..Just how things general go...

I have a buddy that's interested as well, so he might assist with a few, but again he hasn't done any contests before either...the chef at my work's Cafeteria has done many contests, but I haven't gotten a chance to hang with him yet..

Have you ordered a Backwoods, or just looking to find one to buy?

I just sent an email to Jim and plan on calling him later...but no I havent ordered one yet, but plan to in the next few weeks...

They generally have Party's in stock.

When I talked to him before buying Bob's he said that they had a several in stock and they had different features on them so you should hopefully be able to pick one up and not have to order it from the factory.

More than anything I just want to know the process, no secrets..Just how things general go...

It goes something like this:
Friday
1) arrive as soon as you can - many teams get there prior to 1:00 pm
2) get meat checked in and grab a beer
3) set up canopy, tables, etc and grab a beer
4) prep meat and keep beer near
5) have a beer and finish setting up what you didn't need prior to prepping meat
6) figure out what you forgot and call someone to bring it
7) hopefully you have time to relax and say hi to others, maybe start a meal for later
8] go to cooks meeting (take two beers with)
9) come back and make/finish some food
10) drink with friends and neighbors til it's time to start the cooker
10a) optional - put together turn in boxes
11) drink while getting cooker up to temp
12) put in brisket and butt in the cooker
13) con't drinking til the need for some sleep

Saturday
1) wake up 10 minutes late to get ribs on
2) check internal temps of brisket and butts - wrap if needed/not yet done through the night
3) brush teeth/drink coffee - the order is optional, but highly recommended
4) stare into space as wondering where the hangover came from
5) lay back down for an hour or two
6) start chicken cooker (if using different unit)/check butts and brisket to see if they're ready to hold
7) talk to neighbor till they offer some of their fatty
8] put on chicken
9) finish or put together turn in boxes
10) take a minute and gather thoughtand at any point of getting thirsty or need a cure for hangover, make a drink
11) start getting chicken into box and turn in
12) rib time
13) pork time
14) brisket time
15) take 5 minutes to relax
16) clean up, pack and load up
17) awards
18] biatch about judge 3 and his tenderness score
19) swear that you're done doing another comp again
20) wad up score sheet and throw in trash
21) say good bye to neighbors and tell them you'll see them at the next comp

Did I miss anything?

Thats AWESOME...I especially like the beer drinking parts...

thanks for taking the time to do this...I think I get the picture now...

Sorry, we got this way off topic. Mod feel free to delete as needed in order to get it back on.

That's Great

Sorry, we got this way off topic. Mod feel free to delete as needed in order to get it back on.

I think it should remain....I like it and that is just the way things run, and will in P Hill at our contest! I look forward to seeing everyone there, and for the newbies...just jump in with two feet and have a ton O' fun....that is the name of the game. There are plenty of teams around to help you and give you great tips!

I just run the contest....never cooked so I really don't know what I am talking about just thought it sounded good! LOL!!!!!:p

Everything sounds about right except I NEVER drink at a contest!!!

Back