MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
FLAQUE
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason
Default Smoking vs. Grilling for catering.

I've seen some experienced caterers on the forum sat that they're catering is almost 50% grillling and 50% smoking for clients. Curious to see if that's for most caterers on here or maybe some in a certain region of the country, say California. Like Santa Maria style tri-tip and chicken. I can see why people would want burgers, dogs and chicken for the less exspenive price vs. ribs and briskets. Just want to make sure I get the right setup if there lots of grilling in BBQ catering. It also would depend on your specific menu too, I just don't want to have to turn any potential clients away if I don't have the proper setup.

As always much thanks!

Old 02-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
cynfulsmokersbbq
Full Fledged Farker

We do all smoking right now, because 1. I love it, 2. it allows me to handle other duties while the meat is smoking. 3. most importantly, we are a BBQ company, and it is the reason people get in our line.

BUT..........
Last year I was at an event where the guy across from me had all his smokers running, but was also grilling some ribeye steak sandwiches and corn on the cob. I chatted with him about it and he was the only one at the even selling steak sandwiches, it gave him something unique to sell and he did better than I did on total sales that day.

I have a couple events we may consider it for this year. We do a rodeo and a couple street festivals that I think ribeye sandwiches would go well at. So I may add it. It does add another person manning the grill though.

I'd be interested in hearing what other do as well.
cynfulsmokersbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Right now I am not doing enough off site stuff. The things I am doing are with my BBQ. If you are vending, IMO I would have a grill available. This would allow you to vary your menu as needed. Like Cynful said you will have to look at the added costs.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #4
Motley Q
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAQUE View Post
I've seen some experienced caterers on the forum sat that they're catering is almost 50% grillling and 50% smoking for clients. Curious to see if that's for most caterers on here or maybe some in a certain region of the country, say California. Like Santa Maria style tri-tip and chicken. I can see why people would want burgers, dogs and chicken for the less exspenive price vs. ribs and briskets. Just want to make sure I get the right setup if there lots of grilling in BBQ catering. It also would depend on your specific menu too, I just don't want to have to turn any potential clients away if I don't have the proper setup.

As always much thanks!
Check out Chiavettas on youtube if you want to see caterers grill hundreds of chicken halves.

For over 50 yrs.
Motley Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-28-2013, 01:04 AM   #5
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I grew up with Chiavettas in my home town of Angola, they do a great biz..several crews running all summer..... however for private parties -catering is the question. I try to use my smoker for all foods as having a pit is extra cost for help and the mess if doing 200 halves grilled..Now for even 200 people I can do finishing on a weber or my 5 foot char pit...but do have that as an option
I can do 100 people by my self using the smoker...but when grills are involved you need the help..but you most be versitile..

Thanks from:--->