Some Southern comfort soul food...

Guerry isn't going to like this, but I love this recipe...

1 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
4 level teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons melted butter
2 eggs
1 cup milk

Beat eggs thoroughly and add sugar, then milk. Add dry ingredients and melted butter. Put in buttered pan and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick pokes it and comes out dry.

CD

Even with this heretical recipe, I still find I must grant you honorary Sur'ner status with the overall meal. Nicely played, dog.

When you can't find fresh, these do in a pinch...

picture.php

When you can't find fresh, these do in a pinch...

picture.php

Nice one, You really struggle to get fresh greens ?
Cornbread recipe please

In addition to not finding greens that looked good, I also happen to LOVE fried okra, so I didn't look all that hard for the greens. :becky:

When I have fried chicken, I want mashed taters and fried okra on the side. It is one of my favorite food combinations. Greens cooked in bacon fat would probably have made a stronger Soul Food TD entry, but I prefer to enter what I want to eat.

CD

the only thing i can see wrong is you haveno cast iron for the cornbread . You got to have cast iron .

Where the heck is the Red Velvet Cake? No Sunday Dinner is complete without Red Velvet Cake or even 'Nana Puddin'.

In addition to not finding greens that looked good, I also happen to LOVE fried okra, so I didn't look all that hard for the greens. :becky:

When I have fried chicken, I want mashed taters and fried okra on the side. It is one of my favorite food combinations. Greens cooked in bacon fat would probably have made a stronger Soul Food TD entry, but I prefer to enter what I want to eat.

CD

Fried okra will be served every day in my own personal Heaven.

Looks like home.

Question. When I tried to make my okra, the breading peels off in the pan. (Should have paid more attention to my grandmother). How did you make yours look so good? I fry mine up in a cast iron skillet and crisco.

Looks like home.

Question. When I tried to make my okra, the breading peels off in the pan. (Should have paid more attention to my grandmother). How did you make yours look so good? I fry mine up in a cast iron skillet and crisco.

You should try deep frying it whole...

attachment.php

Apologies for the minor hijack.

Looks like home.

Sorry, just saw this.

Everything on my plate for this meal was from scratch, except the breaded okra. It was frozen, and they go into the oil frozen. I have the same problem you do. I want to try breading some fresh okra, and doing a quick freeze on them, to see if it would get the same results as store-bought frozen breaded okra.

Also, I deep fry mine, a small amount at a time. I think that helps keep the breading on, compared to pan frying. You don't have to touch them while they fry.

CD

Back