Cleaning Weber Kettles

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone have any general guidelines or tips that they would like to share?

I decided that today was a great day to do some maintenance and here are my problems:

Slight rust on grates
Mold in base of one kettle
Water in base of WSM

I'm thinking (for the kettles) that bleach and water and then a power washing. Not sure about the rust.

Eric

Man, the worst thing you can do it let moisture collect in a Kettle or a WSM, I had a neighbor that never cleaned out the ash and the bottom farking rusted out! I empty and hose mine out after every cook. You don't want to wash away too much of the "cooked" on goodness. A little olive oil on the rust and fire it up and smoke out all the moisture

For Mold I'd use Vinegar - spray/splash some in, let it sit, then scrub out and re-do.

For the grates, scrub with IPA (rubbing alcohol) and scotchbrite then season (oil) immediately and apply oil at least every couple cooks

For the WSM I can't help because I don't have one.

EDIT: For heavy rust scrub with IPA, for light rust just use a rough cloth or light scotchbrite and oil

For mold I just sprayed out the kettle really well with a sweep nozzle then started a hot fire in the bottom of the kettle. Then I sprayed some salad oil and let it burn on. I would just wire brush the grate and reseason.

Back