Seperating Brisket

Peteg

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've read threads that say that you are not allowed to split a turn-in meat during cooking and then continue on with both portions of meat. Is it ok to split the brisket before hand and cook the flat and point sepearately? I know that many teams do that, but I just wanted to make sure that it's legal. Also, would I have any trouble getting throught the meat inspection with the point and flat seperated? Thanks for any help. Pete G.

Cool. Thanks for the help guys. Nice to here from you Andy.

Pork would be the only one you can not split or seperate and continue on cooking in KCBS

Can you clarify a little for me on this point. I have seen people pull sections of their butt, sauce them and return them to the cooker. Also there is a picnic and a butt. Thats already seperated. Then there is the boneless butt which can be considered seperated.

I must be missing something. Thanks for any clarification on what is meant by splitting or sperating the pork.

splitting would be making it less then 5 pounds for instance, removing the money muscle and returning the rest of the butt to the cooker for pulled. I spoke with many reps and they told me you can sauce your meat before boxing and return to the cooker to reheat. That is not cooking, that is heating up.

So it is considered illegal to remove the money muscle and return the rest of the butt to the cooker? I have known teams to remove the money muscle, the dipstick and some other fat laden portions, sauce them and return them to the cooker while returning the other parts of the butt for a longer cook for chopped and pulled. I was thinking of trying this but won't if its actually against the rules.

So it is considered illegal to remove the money muscle and return the rest of the butt to the cooker? I have known teams to remove the money muscle, the dipstick and some other fat laden portions, sauce them and return them to the cooker while returning the other parts of the butt for a longer cook for chopped and pulled. I was thinking of trying this but won't if its actually against the rules.

What you are explaining is completely illegal according to my interp of the rule. You cannot return the butt for longer cooking after taking done parts off.

What you are explaining is completely illegal according to my interp of the rule. You cannot return the butt for longer cooking after taking done parts off.
I agree... What OC was talking about was re-heating not initial cooking.

splitting would be making it less then 5 pounds for instance, removing the money muscle and returning the rest of the butt to the cooker for pulled. I spoke with many reps and they told me you can sauce your meat before boxing and return to the cooker to reheat. That is not cooking, that is heating up.

I have heard exactly the opposite that once it is parted / pulled / sliced, it can not go back on the cooker for any reason even to reheat. Can we get a definitive answer from KCBS on this?

^^^^^^^ I still say yes, I always do it and so does just about every other team I know. I am not cooking it, I am bringing it to temp so it can be enjoyed hot.

Thanks Paul. That was very informative.

What I've seen I gather was just warming and setting of sauce. I have seen teams pull and rest butts then dismantle the butt and pick the pieces they want for slicing and sauce and return to the cooker just to set a glaze. That I am gathering would not be illegal as the meat was already cooked. Or am I wrong?

^^^^^^^ I still say yes, I always do it and so does just about every other team I know. I am not cooking it, I am bringing it to temp so it can be enjoyed hot.

I agree, just don't want to be doing the wrong thing and one day catch a random DQ because someone noticed or complained.

I've had discussions with folks on this very subject... (Folks that interpret the rules.) If you slice, chunk or pull your pork, you can't put it back in the cooker. No matter what you are saying you are doing to it. As there is no difference in putting it in the smoker or a microwaver to "re-heat"....

So you are saying you can't reheat it even after its been coolered for hours?

Back