MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:10 PM   #1
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Cooking a brisket

I am new at using a smoker and have a lot to learn. When I hear others talk about smoking a brisket, I hear "low and slow" and "18 hours" etc. However, 18 hours seems like a LONG time for some briskets. How do you know when to take the meat off the smoker? I put a 6.5 pounder on the offset about midnight (225-250 degrees) and (thinking longer is better) took it off at 3 P.M. and it was too well done. Good burnt ends, though...

Please advise...

Thanks in advance!

Dan
span.jajahWrapper { font-size:1em; color:#B11196; text-decoration:underline; } a.jajahLink { color:#000000; text-decoration:none; } span.jajahInLink:hover { background-color:#B11196; }
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2009, 04:23 PM   #2
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Your probably mistaking that its too done for not done enough.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2009, 04:26 PM   #3
chambersuac

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineMaster;[URL="javascript:void(0)"
927848[/URL]]Your probably mistaking that its too done for not done enough.
Really? I never thought of that! The meat was tasty, but I didn't have any sauce on it, so it was a touch on the dry side.
span.jajahWrapper { font-size:1em; color:#B11196; text-decoration:underline; } a.jajahLink { color:#000000; text-decoration:none; } span.jajahInLink:hover { background-color:#B11196; }

Old 05-18-2009, 04:35 PM   #4
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

when people are talking about a 18 hour smoke it is usually with a whole brisket, thats flat and point attached, usually about 12-14lbs, and will take a good 16-20 hrs to smoke, a 6lb flat should be done in about 9-11 hrs depending on the temp of the smoker.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:38 PM   #5
chambersuac

Quote:
Originally Posted by early mornin' smokin';[URL="javascript:void(0)"
927854[/URL]]when people are talking about a 18 hour smoke it is usually with a whole brisket, thats flat and point attached, usually about 12-14lbs, and will take a good 16-20 hrs to smoke, a 6lb flat should be done in about 9-11 hrs depending on the temp of the smoker.
aha...thanks a lot. I did find a good looking recipe for "Brisket Chili" in the recipe section, so I think I'll try that with the left overs.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:49 PM   #6
Cuelio
is one Smokin' Farker

Yup! Flats will be done much sooner. In part, that is why I've never cooked a flat.

A packer trim brisket, with a "nose", and with a nice fat cap is the way to go, IMHO. Cook that low and slow, with the fat cap "up" is the conventional wisdom. However, some of the brethren have been "speed cooking" briskets.

Smoking the brisket for a good 17-22 hours has given me great results, with the fat rendering off and basting the meat on the way down, turning it into a truly glorious tender state. And the nose? WOW! I find myself picking bark off that part of the brisket before anyone else gets to it, under the "cook's privilege" rule.

Also, flats tend to be a bit more dry, again, because there is not much by way of basting going on: Most flats have much of the fat cap trimmed off.
Outers electric cold smoker
Lump in the soles of my shoes

My avatar is M-57 the "Smoke Ring nebula", in memory of "e".
Cuelio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2009, 06:00 PM   #7
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

only thing i would do different is cook with the fat side down, it protects all that meat from the direct heat.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:31 PM   #8
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineMaster View Post
He cooked a 6.5 pounder for 15 hours at 225-250.

I do not think it was not cooked enough.
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2009, 08:28 PM   #9
snoqualmiesmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Time means nothing. Its the internal temperature that matters. What was the temp when you pulled it.
Pics help.

You can cook a flat in 8-10 hours depending on its thickness and temp.

What kind of cooker are you using? Is this grate temp you speak of?
More info please!
STOKER 2
STOKER WHITEBOX
OKLAHOMA JOE LONGHORN
STUMPS PLATINUM
SUPERIOR SS1
[url]jjbbqcompany.com[/url]
snoqualmiesmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2009, 08:31 PM   #10
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by G$ View Post
He cooked a 6.5 pounder for 15 hours at 225-250.

I do not think it was not cooked enough.
I'm guessing the comment that they were good for "burnt ends" was pretty spot on!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2009, 08:36 PM   #11
jestridge

I never cook a whole for that long, but I usually run my heat a little high around 270-280
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2009, 09:59 PM   #12
Jeff_in_KC

I cooked 14 packer briskets today for less than 8 hours at around 260. Most were only around 190 when taken off (they're in the walk-in cooler to slice tomorrow, add some juices and heat in the oven for a luncheon. Weird stuff that a smoker full of packers was nearly done in less than 8 hours. It just depends on the meat too. These were select grade (not MY choice to order!) so maybe that had something to do with it. Get a feel for what's "done" by pushing on your brisket. Also, slide a probe it... when there's no resistance, it's done. Takes practice.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2009, 10:31 PM   #13
OUT OF ORDER
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineMaster View Post
this is probly the issue low and slow means 200 to 250 for as long as it takes to get to 185 to 190 depends on how you like it dont worry about time worry about temp of cooker first and internal of meat second and sit back and wait for the 185 to 190 even if it seems like its to long and it (looks ) done you will be fine we all did this post pics and have fun brother:icon_devi l
12" homade offset
22 1/2 webber
OUT OF ORDER is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2009, 10:56 PM   #14
injury
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

agree with the ones that said for a 6 pound flat that was in there way too long.

check the brisket howto in the roadmap a weath of information. internal temp if you are paranoid like me, or sliding a probe in and it should be like going through warm butter, are the ways to tell if it's done. Though I've known people that can touch the outside and tell.

the very loose time guesstimate on low and slow for a brisket is like 1-1.5 hours per pound. But it is always trumped by your doneness checks.
injury is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2009, 08:29 AM   #15
chambersuac

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoqualmiesmoker;[URL="javascript:void(0)"
928021[/URL]]Time means nothing. Its the internal temperature that matters. What was the temp when you pulled it.
Pics help.

You can cook a flat in 8-10 hours depending on its thickness and temp.

What kind of cooker are you using? Is this grate temp you speak of?
More info please!
The internal temp when I pulled it was 159-160. I was using a Brinkman SnP. I am judging the temp by the thermometer in the lid.

I ended up chopping it up and making some pretty awesome nachos out of it...so, not a total loss.

I still welcome any and all comments...

Dan