MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:17 AM   #3676
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLORIDASMOKER View Post
I started the fire with a weed burner my top is the bottom of a wally world 40 buck BBQ with a crome electric stove burner plate adjusted with magnents

Did you start more than this amount of coals? The high temp may have been too much burning coals at start.

Again can you snuff out the fire? If you can't then you don't have control of the air so look for leaks.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2009, 05:07 AM   #3677
FLORIDASMOKER
Found some matches.

it snuffs out fairely quick. Looking at your basket I think I may be tying to start with to much fire, its hard to tell how much you are starting with the weed burner. I will try next time just lighting a couple in the middle like you.
FLORIDASMOKER is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2009, 07:48 AM   #3678
HoosierTrooper
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
Keep in mind your fuel consumption will go up. With 3 plugs out, more air=more fuel.
My four intakes holes are 1/2 inch, most of the time 2-3 are usually what I leave open. Looked in it this morning and there's still quite a bit of fuel left and the oak wood pieces are completely gone. Before I would usually find a piece or two unburned because the drippings seemed to hamper the combustion.
HoosierTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2009, 12:38 PM   #3679
Walking Dude
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
I have gotten some PM's in the past where people have made incorrect or want to change the size hole they made in a drum. If you have ever tried to drill a large hole in thin metal you know that it does not make a clean round hole. It is even worse on a curved surface like a drum. You can get a bigger unibit which are either expensive or don't work very well or last. If you use a tool called a "Chassis punch or Knockout punch" it makes life very easy. A industrial quality punch will cost @$40 apiece but Harbor Freight sell a set that will work on drums for <$20. Here is a link and a link to a You Tube demo. The pilot hole does not have to be only slightly bigger as described. That is how they are designed but you can go bigger if you pay attention to centering and make sure it is shearing the metal as you tighten.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91201

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJpc5...eature=related

DUDE........i have a buddy who has one of these. Its my understanding that a 3/4 inch close nipple, takes a 1" hole. Prob. is, the one inch knockout is actually 1 1/8th............the 3/4" knockout runs 7/8ths. So how did your work out to get the correct size hole?
Walking Dude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2009, 03:58 PM   #3680
mranum
Full Fledged Farker

I just used a 1" hole saw and a mandrel for it. Run it at slow RPM and give it a little oil for a lube and cuts fast and clean. Spin it fast and dry and you will grind the teeth right off it but slow and oiled it will last a long time.
mranum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2009, 04:28 PM   #3681
Norcoredneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking Dude View Post
DUDE........i have a buddy who has one of these. Its my understanding that a 3/4 inch close nipple, takes a 1" hole. Prob. is, the one inch knockout is actually 1 1/8th............the 3/4" knockout runs 7/8ths. So how did your work out to get the correct size hole?
You are right. it will make a larger hole. I have actual 1" punch. You can use these and "Capture" drum between 2 conduit nuts. Like above I use a hole saw and just cut slower . Most people that have trouble with hole saws don't have a descent variable speed drill or just go too fast and when the saw grabs it twist and snaps off the pilot drill or twist the metal and doesn't make a clean hole.

I only posted the punch set as a fix for those who have already made a hole and can not use a hole saw.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2009, 05:51 PM   #3682
Wyley
On the road to being a farker

I scored a complete large Weber grill today for $10 off of Craigslist. This weekend I'll probably add the extra rack to my UDS. I also scored a complete small Weber grill for free a couple of weeks ago. I'm going to use the lid for the mini UDS that I already have but was planning on cutting the bottom 1/3 off of the lower part of the grill and drilling a whole bunch of holes in it to use it for a charcoal basket for my big UDS. It will fit nicely and even with the handles on it it has room to fit. Has anyone done something like this or do you even think it will work? I plan on cutting it just below where the grate that the coals sit on is, then I'll raise it up a couple of inches above an ash catcher that I'll make.

Last edited by Wyley; 07-22-2009 at 05:52 PM.. Reason: typo
Wyley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2009, 06:39 PM   #3683
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyley View Post
I scored a complete large Weber grill today for $10 off of Craigslist. This weekend I'll probably add the extra rack to my UDS. I also scored a complete small Weber grill for free a couple of weeks ago. I'm going to use the lid for the mini UDS that I already have but was planning on cutting the bottom 1/3 off of the lower part of the grill and drilling a whole bunch of holes in it to use it for a charcoal basket for my big UDS. It will fit nicely and even with the handles on it it has room to fit. Has anyone done something like this or do you even think it will work? I plan on cutting it just below where the grate that the coals sit on is, then I'll raise it up a couple of inches above an ash catcher that I'll make.
Nice CL find.

I also have a charcoal bowl sitting around because I used the lid for my UDS. My only concern with using the charcoal bowl as an ash pan is that it will hold the charcoal grate higher than a flat ash pan.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:22 PM   #3684
Wyley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Parker View Post
Nice CL find.

I also have a charcoal bowl sitting around because I used the lid for my UDS. My only concern with using the charcoal bowl as an ash pan is that it will hold the charcoal grate higher than a flat ash pan.
Rich, I am actually going to try to make a charcoal basket out of the 18" Weber bottom, I figure if I cut it off just below where the charcoal grate sits in it I will have a slightly sloped ring about 8" deep by 18" wide. After I cut it off I'll drill probably 50-60 3/4 holes around it for airflow. My biggest concern is that it will be too wide for adequate airflow to the center of it, but the only thing it will cost me is time since I wasn't going to have a use for an 18" bottom for anything else. I still need to figure out exactly how I'm going to raise it above the ash pan but the charcoal grate will only be a couple of inches off of the bottom of the UDS.
Wyley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2009, 07:25 PM   #3685
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Rich, I am actually going to try to make a charcoal basket out of the 18" Weber bottom, I figure if I cut it off just below where the charcoal grate sits in it I will have a slightly sloped ring about 8" deep by 18" wide. After I cut it off I'll drill probably 50-60 3/4 holes around it for airflow. My biggest concern is that it will be too wide for adequate airflow to the center of it, but the only thing it will cost me is time since I wasn't going to have a use for an 18" bottom for anything else. I still need to figure out exactly how I'm going to raise it above the ash pan but the charcoal grate will only be a couple of inches off of the bottom of the UDS.
I would really like to see some pics of it and your opinion on how it worked when you are done.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:26 PM   #3686
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Here's my new UDS. I call it Poor Piggy 2 cause that's whats going to happen when I fire it up tomorrow after paint,ash pan and handles. This one has a removable plate to dissipate the heat. My last one I built for free this one I have a grand total of about $12.00 into it. Some pics.

Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2009, 11:12 PM   #3687
VivaSancho
Knows what a fatty is.

I just noticed, my drum is only 34 1/2" tall, will I even be able to use a rib rack in this thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaSancho View Post
Well, the smoker is almost done, the basket is 15" X 6" with 1 1/2' legs. My drum is only 43 1/2" tall and that is leaving me very little room. What is the consensus on a safe amount of room between the lid and the cooking grate? 24" from the basket leaves me with 2"...

Just a thought, would gun blue help prevent the bottom of the drum from rusting down the line?

Dave
VivaSancho is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2009, 03:37 AM   #3688
PIT BOSS

Quote:
I was thinking of doing the same thing, but use the bottom of a Smokey Joe.
I'm going to attach a 15 or 16 inch rimmed disc to the legs to act as an ash tray.
PIT BOSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2009, 04:48 AM   #3689
Phubar

Nice drum Skidder!
Can't wait to see some food pron in there!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2009, 04:58 AM   #3690
Phubar

Default Placing thermometer on UDS

I'm ready to place my thermometer on the UDS but I have a question,if I'm right I read something about if you have the thermometer on the side of your drum you have to ad 30 degrees to know what the core temp is?
If so and you want to mount the thermometer not on the side of the drum but on the Weber lid near the handle,does the thermometer read the core temp or do you still have to ad the 30 degrees?
Thanx!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker