MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 05-30-2014, 03:35 AM   #1
dizzyBBQ18
On the road to being a farker

Default proper temp for pork baby backs??? thanks

I usually cook pork to 160 so im wondering when you smoke does it change to a higher temp?
Thanks
dizzyBBQ18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2014, 07:29 AM   #2
Big_Alvin
Full Fledged Farker

i've never measured temp on ribs - when the meat starts to pull in a bit from the end of the bones and they pass the bend test, they are good to go. at 250 for 4 hours is usually good for me. the bend test = pick up the slab with a pair of tongs and bounce them slightly. If they are ready, the slab will bow until the meat starts to crack on the surface. A small crack means you need a little more time. It should be close to breaking when you lift the slab. You'll get the feel for this with practice. i got this from another site as it explains it easier than i could. hope this helps.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:32 AM   #3
Cromartie
Got rid of the matchlight.

195 3-4 hours. Pull at 200. You will want to wrap them at some point in there as well.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:02 PM   #4
10-8
Full Fledged Farker

For Baby Backs I smoke at 300 - 325 temp and they pass the bend test in a little over two hours. I also don't foil my ribs but will spritz with apple juice (motts for tots 40% less sugar).

Old 06-01-2014, 01:40 PM   #5
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromartie View Post
195 3-4 hours. Pull at 200. You will want to wrap them at some point in there as well.
195? Is that the internal temp?

dizzy, it's hard to get a reliable temp reading on ribs since the meat relatively thin. If you are off by 1/4" then temp can change dramatically. The bend test as described above is a much better test. Or, you can use a toothpick between the bones and cook until it goes in easily.

BTW, if you are cooking pork chops, loins or tenderloins to 160, you're over cooking it. Pork is safe at 145 internal with a three minute rest.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote