Opinions on appearance please

Just Pulin' Pork

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Looking for some feedback please!

2010Basswoods007.jpg

That is pretty close to a nine...If I was in a pissy mood at the contest and wanted to make it about nit picking, I would judge down for some black spots and your sauce is to shinny, stuff like that...that really belongs in a judges head.

looks great, yhe only thing I would score down on is that the sauce seems ..gloopy and uneven...better then anything I have ever turned in..a solid 8 +

Sauce could be more even, black spots, skin looks wrinkled on the top right piece. I'd score it a 7. I couldn't score it a 9 because that would just mean the next box would be arranged just as nice but have perfectly smooth sauce, no spots and no wrinkles. Then what would I score theirs, a 10?

I agree that the spots and uneven glaze might be something you want to tidy up. 7

Sauce could be more even, black spots, skin looks wrinkled on the top right piece. I'd score it a 7. I couldn't score it a 9 because that would just mean the next box would be arranged just as nice but have perfectly smooth sauce, no spots and no wrinkles. Then what would I score theirs, a 10?
This entry or score shouldn't matter when the next box comes. Each entry is scored on its own merit.

Will, regarding your score - maybe an 7/8. Hard to see from the angle of the pic. It looks OK, but it doesn't have me on the edge of my seat waiting to dive in. The parsley between the pieces is a bit distracting. I try to look at chicken, but those pieces of parsley keep grabbing my eye.

Honest opinion - are those chicken nuggets?

This entry or score shouldn't matter when the next box comes. Each entry is scored on its own merit.
True. I could have chosen my words better. It's still true though, I couldn't score it a 9 because it's not the best it can be. I just used a poor example to portray what I meant I guess.

7 could be 8 to much sauce, I posted some thing similar with the parsley between the chicken, It looks ok to me.

Just curious why 12 small pieces when you could do 6 - 8 larger pieces?

The presentation is a little off for me being the chicken is sunken in to the parsley instead of the parsley holding the chicken up to showcase it.

Bout an 7 to 8, the glaze might be a little too much, also try to even out parsley a little better...

I would score it a 7, Sauce is uneven and although you have alot of chicken in the box, still seems that the greens are burying them. BTW where do you find chicken thighs that small, I can just fit 6 in a box and still tight.

strong seven from this angle--interested if those small pc's are juicy,juicy juicy--almost too much parsely

Last edited:
I would score it a 7, Sauce is uneven and although you have alot of chicken in the box, still seems that the greens are burying them. BTW where do you find chicken thighs that small, I can just fit 6 in a box and still tight.

We trim the crap out of them. Tenderness wise they were juicy.

7,maybe an 8 on a good day.reasons-uneven sauce,black spots,too much garnish.

Score

We tried something different with all the parsley rather than a flat bed, sauce was more even than the picture suggests.

Appearance - 7, 7, 9, 9, 8, 8

Now what is chicken supposed to taste like.....not what we cooked 666767 and tenderness 665876

Worst box score we have ever had.... 45th out of 46....

The parsley between the pieces is a bit distracting. I try to look at chicken, but those pieces of parsley keep grabbing my eye.

I agree, it almost looks as if you are growing chicken in a field. I would prefer to see the chicken sitting on top of the parsley to make the chicken the focal point of the presentation. As it sits, I would give it a strong 7, but it could be an 8 or 9 with a more even sauce covering and sitting on top of the parsley.

I agree with them - 7 - 8 for the reasons - however... I would be more likely to eat yours while I look at the winning one. This is why I hate appearance scores.

Of course - here's my idea on what a chicken turn in should look like so take that in mind. Of course these are in a perfect world. Areas where we don't judge green stuff because it has nothing to do with good BBQ.

View attachment 40634

View attachment 40635

These are not mine - they are brethren shots though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that does look good!

I agree with them - 7 - 8 for the reasons - however... I would be more likely to eat yours while I look at the winning one. This is why I hate appearance scores.

Of course - here's my idea on what a chicken turn in should look like so take that in mind. Of course these are in a perfect world. Areas where we don't judge green stuff because it has nothing to do with good BBQ.

View attachment 40634

View attachment 40635

These are not mine - they are brethren shots though.

time to go south to Texas!

Back