Brisket help fast

BASSER

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So I decided I would do my 1st brisket this morning. I could only find a 7.5lb flat. I started up my WSM and got to 350. I wanted to try the hot and fast method. I put the brisket on at 10am with the intention of checking the temperature after 4hrs and pulling, wrapping and putting back on at internal temp of 165. The temp on my WSM stayed pegged at 350 degrees (probably to hot?) Well at 2pm, 4hrs later, the thickest part of the flat was 180 and stiff as a board. I pulled it and put it in a foiled pan with some beef broth and put it back on. I just checked tenderness and it's not probe tender, internal temp is 200 degrees. I'm thinking this may not turn out too good. Thoughts? Thanks Brethren.

Brisket when cooked hot and fast don't probe tender until higher internal temperatures. If you are at 200IT, let it keep going and check every 20mins or so.

Also if you are just cooking a flat, if you go hot and fast next time, I would recommend putting a layer of bacon or some sort of fat to help protect the meat. The flat is super lean and stores tend to sell flats with no fat cap on it. The outter part needs protection from the heat or it can dry out on you.

P.S. putting it in a pan with some beef broth is very smart if the meat was stiff. Make sure you rest the meat at least 2 hours to try to get some of the internal moisture back into the meat. The wrap and broth should soften the outter part of of the flat some.

aawa, thanks a ton. I've been staring at my computer waiting for responses. I've been all puckered up worrying that I may have a $34 piece of shoe leather smoking!

Was the fat cap still on the flat? The temp is a little high for just a flat. A flat will cook a lot like a large roast and will probably be tuff. It has probably stalled, and will take some time wrapped to tender up. A final temp of around 210 is not unusual for a full packer, so the flat at 200 is probably still ok to cook some more. Don't have any experience with just flats, so I may be off with my recommendations. Hopefully someone with that experience will chime in.

Blessings,
Omar

Was the fat cap still on the flat? The temp is a little high for just a flat. A flat will cook a lot like a large roast and will probably be tuff. It has probably stalled, and will take some time wrapped to tender up. A final temp of around 210 is not unusual for a full packer, so the flat at 200 is probably still ok to cook some more. Don't have any experience with just flats, so I may be off with my recommendations. Hopefully someone with that experience will chime in.

Blessings,
Omar

It did have about a half inch fat cap. I didnt trim any and put it on fat cap down. I flipped it when I put it in the foil pan and wrapped it. FINGERS CROSSED!

The big thing is when you pull it off the smoker, vent the heat/steam off of it for 15-20mins. Then wrap the pan tight with the foil and let it sit, I recommend 2 hours of sitting to let the outter edges of the meat soften up some. You can slice after 1 hour if you want though.

The big thing is when you pull it off the smoker, vent the heat/steam off of it for 15-20mins. Then wrap the pan tight with the foil and let it sit, I recommend 2 hours of sitting to let the outter edges of the meat soften up some. You can slice after 1 hour if you want though.

Can I put it in a cooler until I'm ready to cut it after I vent it?

DON'T STRESS OUT HERE 8)

Just probe that sucker every 15-20 minutes or so in the thickest part.
The time and temp numbers mean NOTHING at the end of the cook!!
It is all about probe tenderness.

There is nothing wrong with your cook profile that I can see.

Just be patient! 8)

Gonna be GOOD EATS!!!!

TIM

Seems to be working out good for you now.
Gotta love this place and all the great folks ready to help out.
Lookin forward to the pics

Like KAPN says, "Just be patient! :cool:".

Can't rush perfection. You're gonna have some good eats there. Meanwhile, waiting is half the fun.

Seems to be working out good for you now.
Gotta love this place and all the great folks ready to help out.
Lookin forward to the pics

Seriously, this. There are crazy BBQ farkers on here 24x7 ready with helpful options. This is probably because they're all up all night watching temps. :mrgreen:

This is a great place.

Some good advice has been given. Like they're all saying, check every 10 to 15 minutes for probe tenderness. Don't think about the temp or the time. Once it's probe tender, let it rest ( I like to let the steam off for 30 minutes) then wrap ina towel warmer for an hour or more. After that, slice, eat and enjoy! Good luck!

I keep reading all the posts about smoking a brisket, which I have yet to do. Each time/thread I read I gather a little more knowledge, a little more confidence. Maybe in the next week or so you will see some brisket pics from me.
Thanks for all your help so far!

I keep reading all the posts about smoking a brisket, which I have yet to do. Each time/thread I read I gather a little more knowledge, a little more confidence. Maybe in the next week or so you will see some brisket pics from me.
Thanks for all your help so far!

Just take the knowledge you have gained from this forum and jump in feet first! Don't be scare of a packer, because worse case scenario they make for great chopped brisket sammiches or chili!

Back