Best sauce request

4smoke

I'm going to smoke some ribs n chicken this weekend. Looking for your best ever sauce recipe. Hoping for a sweet w a little bit of kick at the end. Otherwise any great sauce recipe y'all can give up. Thanks fellas.

You just perfectly described sweet baby rays......

You just perfectly described sweet baby rays......

I'm from chicago (its hometown), and I couldn't disagree more- its on par with KC masterpiece/bullzeye at best (okay, maybe a small step above).

Go with head country or blues hog.

Add some apple juice, honey, and hot sauce to sweet baby rays and thank me later :)

My dad actually does something like this with applesauce and honey (I'd like to try a little hot sauce mix too) sounds great.

Sweet and Tangy Memphis Style BBQ Sauce – (From Divine Dinner Party)

2 cups ketchup
1/2 cup yellow mustard
1/2 brown sugar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
3 tbs Worcestershire sauce
1 tbs liquid smoke
1 tbs onion powder
1 tbs chili powder
1 tbs ground black pepper
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp red pepper flake
1/2 tsp celery salt
1/2 tsp salt

I made this sauce last weekend and loved it. I will advice though that I left out the liquid smoke and placed sauce on smoker to get smoke flavor and cooking it intensified the pepper and made it pretty hot. If you were to use it I would only sauce my ribs for the final 30 minutes of the cook with it.

YMMV, but my family is LOVING when I mix these two 50/50 and coat it on just before taking off the grill.

20130113_142051.jpg

I use various base rubs, but a light final dusting with Gun Powder really sets in a great flavor.

The color alone gets me drooling. :)

20130113_144437.jpg

We used Sweet Baby Rays and all the Famous Dave's sauces for years and its great trying different stuff now.

The love of Sweet Baby Rays really surprises me. I absolutely cannot stand it as it just seems too much like a generic store bought sauce lacking in any discernible qualities to set it apart from the rest

I absolutely love using Montgomery Inn Rib King sauce but my guess is it would be very difficult to find outside of OH and KY. I've heard many, many good things about the Shack Attack sauce and that is up next when I do ribs for the Super Bowl.

The love of Sweet Baby Rays really surprises me. I absolutely cannot stand it as it just seems too much like a generic store bought sauce lacking in any discernible qualities to set it apart from the rest

I absolutely love using Montgomery Inn Rib King sauce but my guess is it would be very difficult to find outside of OH and KY. I've heard many, many good things about the Shack Attack sauce and that is up next when I do ribs for the Super Bowl.

Shack Attack is not much of a rib sauce as it is a pulled pork sauce.

Although, you could add it to your foil packets before returning to the smoker. Shack Attack is a very thin sauce on it's own. I guess you could doctor it up to make it stick on ribs, though.

One of the best was also the most simple I ever made...

2 Cups Honey
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Cup Mustard
1 small can tomato sauce
1/4 Cider Vinegar
2 tbs Worst. Sauce
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
Salt, Pepper, Cayenne Pepper to taste

Smiier over low heat until well blended, then allow to cool.

Shack Attack is not much of a rib sauce as it is a pulled pork sauce.

Although, you could add it to your foil packets before returning to the smoker. Shack Attack is a very thin sauce on it's own. I guess you could doctor it up to make it stick on ribs, though.
I forget where I read it but I saw a few tips on how to thicken it up a bit and make for ribs. I think I have it saved on my home computer

Out side of making my own I have been liking Bob Gibson’s Red Sauce. It is not bad for store bought and I mix a little honey in it when I cook chicken.

Several good sauce recipes here if you wish to make your own.

If you want commercial, you are in "Sonny's Land" :-D
Walmart has their Sweet for $2-2.50/ each which makes a great base.
For chickie, I add a little heat with cayenne, hot sauce, or Sonny's "Smokin'" sauce (which used to be their "hot"--and it is).
It thins nicely with water, AJ, or almost any sweet or neutral liquid.

In 2008-2010 we did "quite well" in FBA using Sonny's as a base for Chickie, Ribs, and Pork. :-D

Good Eats.

TIM

Back