MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:20 PM   #1
82muchhomework
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave
Default Help with the Brinkman smoke n grill

A friend gave me a Brinkman Smoke n Grill the other day. I noticed some things that might create some issues (charcoal pan will likely smother the coals during a long cook, minimal access to coals and water pan, no adjustments for airflow - in or out). I think that a lot of mods are in order, but I would like to see if I can get it to work without any mods yet.

I looked up the manual online and it says to light up a 10lb bag of charcoal with some lighter fluid and dump em in the pan. Not likely.

http://www.brinkmann.net/Docs/Pdf/810-5301-C.pdf (See page 9)

Instead of consulting the manufacturers, I think asking the real experts is the way to go.

Does anybody have some instructions or tips on how they get theirs to work?
How many briquettes do you use, how do you adjust temp, etc.?

It would really help if you could spell it out for me like I am 6 years old.

Without the adjustments, I think I need to be on target from the get go or I'll ruin some dinner, no? I really don't want to loose some dinner while my mother is visiting. Got to show some ability to cook. Please help guys.

Thanks all.

Dave
82muchhomework is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2009, 10:03 PM   #2
Jburt
On the road to being a farker

I've got the Sportsman's Smoker. It's the same thing. To light the coals I use a chimney then pour them in while wearing a leather glove that goes to above the elbow. The worst part is if the charcoal pan falls of the ledge when you pour, then you're trying to lift it up and not get burnt. A weed burner would definitely work well though. A FULL chimney is typically what it takes me to smoke a brisket or butt, and I add chunk wood throughout the cook instead of more coal.
I haven't had an issue with the water pan smothering the coals, but heat adjustment is pretty much non-existent (at least for me). I'll open the door and face it towards the breeze to try to increase the heat, but if you get too hot I don't know what you'd do.

That said, I got mine as a gift and it got me in to smoking so I can't complain about it. I've moved the charcoal pan to the top and lit all wood fires for burgers and fish with it, used it like a charcoal kettle, and cold smoked jerky. I plan on doing another butt on it this weekend (gotta give the performer a break). Pretty good for the first gift my wife ever gave me (that's why I married her!).

Old 08-27-2009, 10:21 PM   #3
82muchhomework
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jburt View Post
I've got the Sportsman's Smoker. It's the same thing. To light the coals I use a chimney then pour them in while wearing a leather glove that goes to above the elbow. The worst part is if the charcoal pan falls of the ledge when you pour, then you're trying to lift it up and not get burnt. A weed burner would definitely work well though. A FULL chimney is typically what it takes me to smoke a brisket or butt, and I add chunk wood throughout the cook instead of more coal.
I haven't had an issue with the water pan smothering the coals, but heat adjustment is pretty much non-existent (at least for me). I'll open the door and face it towards the breeze to try to increase the heat, but if you get too hot I don't know what you'd do.

That said, I got mine as a gift and it got me in to smoking so I can't complain about it. I've moved the charcoal pan to the top and lit all wood fires for burgers and fish with it, used it like a charcoal kettle, and cold smoked jerky. I plan on doing another butt on it this weekend (gotta give the performer a break). Pretty good for the first gift my wife ever gave me (that's why I married her!).
I was concerned that the ashes would have no where to go in the charcoal pan and after a while they would smother the coals. Have you experienced this?

I married my wife cause she didn't mind when I farted in bed

True story

Shhhh> (she thinks it was for her health insurance)
82muchhomework is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2009, 11:00 PM   #4
mbshop
Babbling Farker

need a grate for the coals. check this
www.randyq.addr.com/ecb/ecbmods.html
also you can extend the legs so a weber smokey joe silver can be inserted as the coal burner.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:46 AM   #5
Jburt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82muchhomework View Post
I was concerned that the ashes would have no where to go in the charcoal pan and after a while they would smother the coals. Have you experienced this?
I have had that happen, so I just stir everything a bit when I check on the Q to make sure it keeps going. I'm gonna have to start modding now though since I've seen what other people have done. Was always afraid to start hacking on a piece of cooking equipment, but after being on the board for a couple of months...no sweat.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:49 AM   #6
ezmuny13

i've got the elec/charcoal one also love mine,just takes a little longer but does the job..bought it to c if was gonna like the smoking part well this spring i'm jumping on an egg or uds
ezmuny13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-28-2009, 11:57 AM   #7
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

You know, that looks an awful lot like an ECB Deluxe. You might want to search the forum for ECB mods. It will help you a lot.

Or...http://www.randyq.addr.com/ecb/ecbmods.html

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote