MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-26-2014, 02:41 AM   #181
mutts&butts
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkoozy View Post
I am going to season tomorrow morning. Do you guys have pointers on

1. How much charcoal?
2. Run with or without water?
3. Smoke wood or not?
4. How long?

I already read up on the whole oiling part and recommended temps, but they rest is all not that clear.

Thanks!
When I seasoned mine I used about 5-8lbs of KBB. Run it without water and be sure to spray cooking spray in the water pan. I didn't use any wood, just charcoal. I ran my temps anywhere between 230-250 and let it run at these temps untill the charcoal burned up, was about 5-7 hrs.
mutts&butts is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 04-26-2014, 04:52 AM   #182
ggee6688
On the road to being a farker

Here is a cork in the water filling hole. Now, this is exciting.

22.5 WSM
Weber Performer Platinum
Stoker setup
FIRE
ggee6688 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2014, 04:55 AM   #183
ggee6688

dpuryear, I also sold my ABS Pit Boss Rotisserie for this smoker. I hope you can get a good price for yours. Great smoker, just eats a lot of charcoal/wood per smoke. This is much more efficient.
22.5 WSM
Weber Performer Platinum
Stoker setup
FIRE

Old 04-26-2014, 07:23 AM   #184
mikes1212
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
I typically only smoke briskets and butts overnight. I cant speak for this smoker yet (just got delivery) All my experience has been on 22" WSM. Having said that, the only meat that I "baste" is ribs.

I never do anything to the brisket or butts. Just smoke them until the bark/temperature look good, then wrap them. Brisket in butcher paper and butts in foil. Then continue the cook. The water, for me, is a preference to control temperature and cooking environment, thats all.

I time my cooks so I wrap after a good nights sleep, most cuts that I cook low and slow dont need touching for atleast 12-14 hours anyway. I typically cook 16lb to 18lb briskets. Ribs are cooked during waking hours and need attention.

This is one of the reasons I focused on a "set it and forget it" type smoker. I love bbq, but dont have the patience to babysit a stick burner. Everyone has different style and methods to achieve the end result.

Good luck in your quest for a smoker, took me several months of research and reading to find something with the right features for me...
I second everything darkoozy said.
Lonely Charbroil Infrared Gasser and Quick Read Thermapen
[B]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/B]
mikes1212 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2014, 08:06 AM   #185
darkoozy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutts&butts View Post
When I seasoned mine I used about 5-8lbs of KBB. Run it without water and be sure to spray cooking spray in the water pan. I didn't use any wood, just charcoal. I ran my temps anywhere between 230-250 and let it run at these temps untill the charcoal burned up, was about 5-7 hrs.

Thanks for the tips...will be hanging with the smoker soon :)
darkoozy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2014, 12:29 PM   #186
jrben1

Second cook. Smoking a Boston Butt and a brisket flat.
The 25 CFM Pit Bull fan is Soooo! much better. Really moves a lot more air.

Old 04-26-2014, 12:38 PM   #187
jrben1

Default Guru Question

I've been smoking a long time but am a newbie to the BBQ Guru, having only used it 3 times.

I notice that early in the cook the Guru pit temp is significantly higher than the Tel Tru temp - 20 to 25 degrees on the Lone Star Grillz. After everything equilibrates, they are within a few degrees of each other - this takes a couple of hours.

Of course the Guru locks on if the pit temp is within 5 degrees of your setting. I guess they don't want you diddling with it too much. If you set it at 235, it will show 235 if the actual pit temp is between 230 and 240.

I'm not sure why the temps are far apart at first. Do you guys experience the same thing and do you have an explanation?

Old 04-26-2014, 01:01 PM   #188
DaveAlvarado
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
I am going to season tomorrow morning. Do you guys have pointers on

1. How much charcoal?
2. Run with or without water?
3. Smoke wood or not?
4. How long?

I already read up on the whole oiling part and recommended temps, but they rest is all not that clear.

Thanks!
Never done a LSG smoker, but typically when you're seasoning is the time you want a really dirty fire. The more smoke and grease the better. When I seasoned my second WSM I used like 20 chunks of smoke wood (I normally cook with 4-6) and I put some slabs of bacon and some cheap chicken thighs in there with the water bowl out so I'd get grease dripping straight into the fire. I don't think you can do that on a LSG, but spraying oil and using smoke wood will help gunk it up quick. Putting some bacon in there will make it smell delicious too. Just burn the bacon to a crisp, it's there to drip grease, not to eat.
DaveAlvarado is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2014, 02:19 PM   #189
darkoozy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrben1 View Post
I've been smoking a long time but am a newbie to the BBQ Guru, having only used it 3 times.

I notice that early in the cook the Guru pit temp is significantly higher than the Tel Tru temp - 20 to 25 degrees on the Lone Star Grillz. After everything equilibrates, they are within a few degrees of each other - this takes a couple of hours.

Of course the Guru locks on if the pit temp is within 5 degrees of your setting. I guess they don't want you diddling with it too much. If you set it at 235, it will show 235 if the actual pit temp is between 230 and 240.

I'm not sure why the temps are far apart at first. Do you guys experience the same thing and do you have an explanation?
The guru reads temps faster than the tel tru. I am seasoning my pit now and both the guru and the tel tru read 245F. It took the tel tru about 30 min to catch up, but they are pretty much reading the same temp. Also it depends where you place your guru probe. I placed my guru probe on the same level as the tel tru probe and close to each other. It shouldn't take hours. It's been my experience with the guru as being pretty accurate when it comes to reading temps, I use a maverick to tell the temps as well. The maverick is always 5F higher than the guru.

Also, placing the guru probe within close proximity to food will influence it's reading as heat circulation can be influenced by crowding and food temps...

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:06 PM   #190
darkoozy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrben1 View Post
Second cook. Smoking a Boston Butt and a brisket flat.
The 25 CFM Pit Bull fan is Soooo! much better. Really moves a lot more air.
Need some pr0n...I am stuck seasoning and rain coming late tonight :(

Ya I am using the the 25cfm fan, and it's crazy fast (i am used to 10cfm on my wsm). It stoked the fire to 225 in an hour. I had to close vents a little to keep temps down. I managed to bring temps back down to 225 from 245, it's holding at 225 for the last hour. The guru is amazing, and this smoker is awesome. I can't wait to cook a meat orgy in it

Last edited by darkoozy; 04-26-2014 at 04:15 PM..

Old 04-26-2014, 06:39 PM   #191
mikes1212
Full Fledged Farker

I have an 11.75 lb butt in mine right now and have a 7.5 brisket flat ready for about 9:30 PM. I have 4 rack of ribs for early in the AM tomorrow.

Do you guys pull off the membrane on the bottom or do you just let them go with the membrane on?

Old 04-26-2014, 06:40 PM   #192
tsimm15
is one Smokin' Farker

I always pull the membrane off.
tsimm15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2014, 07:36 PM   #193
mikes1212
Full Fledged Farker

Membrane off, ribs rubbed, and sitting in then fridge to rest.

Light rain and windy outside right now. But the smoker is sitting at 225! Ribs will go on about 8:30 AM.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:37 PM   #194
darkoozy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsimm15 View Post
I always pull the membrane off.
+ 1 what he said

Old 04-26-2014, 10:31 PM   #195
ggee6688

My cook today wasn't the best. My temp ran up until I added water. Any tips running dry to get 235 to 250. I was getting 280 with a stoker and valve almost closed, and exhaust 1/4th open.
22.5 WSM
Weber Performer Platinum
Stoker setup
FIRE