MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:41 AM   #1
Biggen
Got Wood.

Default First butt on - Pr0n

Started my first butt early this morning. Got up at 4:30am and got it rubbed down and the smoker fired up. Running at around 270~ so I am hoping this 7.5lb butt will be done no later than 2pm so I can get it in the cooler and resting before dinner tonight.

Had a bit of issue with too much smoke this morning at first. I didn't let the coals in the chimney ash over enough as I was anxious to get cooking so I dumped them on my minion stack when they still had flames. After wrestling with the vents to get the flare out snuffed out I was able to get it under control. Now the hard part is waiting...

I'll update later today with the finished product.

Biggen is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 03-02-2013, 07:50 AM   #2
Mason Dixon Bowhunta
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice, keep the pics coming
[I]Perhaps this is the moment for which you have been created[/I] ~ Esther 4:14
Mason Dixon Bowhunta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2013, 07:51 AM   #3
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

It is always worth waiting for the Blue Smoke The meat taste so much better. Why not put the rub on in the evening. That way all you have to do is start the fire and Q Looking forward to future Pics Enjoy
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2013, 07:55 AM   #4
Biggen
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George's BBQ View Post
It is always worth waiting for the Blue Smoke The meat taste so much better. Why not put the rub on in the evening. That way all you have to do is start the fire and Q Looking forward to future Pics Enjoy
Yeah, I'll give the chimney more time next go around. It was cold outside and I was ready to start smoking so I rushed it. Looked like a bonfire until shut the bottom vents down to snuff out the flames. Luckily, I hadn't put the butt on yet at that time.

I thought about putting the rub on the night before but I was worried about the salt in the rub drawing out the moisture. It did give me something to do as the grill was heating up however.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:00 AM   #5
Big George's BBQ

At comps and at home I put muy rub on in the afternoon and put the butt/brisket on in the early AM. I like to let the rub set on the meat for several hours before smoking Wrap it in saran wrap or put it in a 3 gallon ziplock baggie. I will put additional rub on when I am ready to put it on the smoker
KCBS

Old 03-02-2013, 08:08 AM   #6
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
is one Smokin' Farker

Default First butt on - Pr0n

Your deck is so shiny! I moved my wsm to the front porch (the pretty deck) for a cold weather cook. Its been forever stained by a dropped brisket and a dripping grease out the vents wsm. Just a word of warning. Its so shiny!

Best of luck on the butt. Can't wait to see the results!

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2013, 08:34 AM   #7
Big M1ke
is one Smokin' Farker

Keep the pron coming!

Old 03-02-2013, 09:24 AM   #8
Biggen
Got Wood.

I'm almost 3.5 hours in and the temp is holding at 275~. Love my WSM! My internal temp is showing 184 which seems high to me for a 7.5lb butt at this time in the cook. Wonder if my meat prob has malfunctioned or something.

Also, I hate this Maveric ET-73. The range on the receiver is horrible. If I move it more than 10 feet away from the transmitter unit it stops updating. I'll be buying the 732 ASAP and throwing this thing in the garbage.

I hear the fat and grease hitting the top of my foiled water pan so I know
I'm making headway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fo Sizzle My Nizzle View Post
Your deck is so shiny! I moved my wsm to the front porch (the pretty deck) for a cold weather cook. Its been forever stained by a dropped brisket and a dripping grease out the vents wsm. Just a word of warning. Its so shiny!

Best of luck on the butt. Can't wait to see the results!
Yeah, I am keeping the 409 ready to degrease anything that drips. I'll probably end up purchasing a large sheet pan and keep it under the WSM.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #9
wct
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggen View Post
I'm almost 3.5 hours in and the temp is holding at 275~. Love my WSM! My internal temp is showing 184 which seems high to me for a 7.5lb butt at this time in the cook. Wonder if my meat prob has malfunctioned or something.

Also, I hate this Maveric ET-73. The range on the receiver is horrible. If I move it more than 10 feet away from the transmitter unit it stops updating. I'll be buying the 732 ASAP and throwing this thing in the garbage.

I hear the fat and grease hitting the top of my foiled water pan so I know
I'm making headway!.
Don't panic on the temp. When it reads 190-195 just confirm it with your thermapen and if both are the same then your good to go.
Rec-Tec#1165, Traeger 075 Texan (1990's model), Weber Genesis E-330, Bradley digital 6 Shelf Smoker[/SIZE]
wct is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2013, 10:17 AM   #10
wct
Knows what a fatty is.

Also keep those pic's coming. I'm starting to get hungry over here.
Rec-Tec#1165, Traeger 075 Texan (1990's model), Weber Genesis E-330, Bradley digital 6 Shelf Smoker[/SIZE]
wct is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #11
Dirtbuddy
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice way to start the day!

Old 03-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #12
Biggen
Got Wood.

No more pr0n yet as I haven't cracked the lid. I'm 5.5 hours in. Still holding at ~280F. My internal temp rose up to 190 and then held for an hour and then dropped to 187 and it is holding there currently. Is it normal for this to happen. I plan on opening the lid at the 6 hour mark to give it the wiggle test and see what is happening. I'll take some pictures then.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:39 PM   #13
Biggen
Got Wood.

Well I hit the 8 hour mark at 2pm and the bone still doesn't wiggle. The meat has definitely pulled away but it doesn't prob quite like "buttah". So I went ahead and wrapped it in foil to speed the process up. I'd like to have it off the pit no later than 4pm so we shall see.

Been taking longer than I thought but I guess BBQ is done when its done.

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #14
Biggen
Got Wood.

After a full day of smoking I (and my inlaws/guests) were extremely happy at how the pork turned out. Ended up taking it off the grill at the 9 hour mark. The bone was wiggiling free at this point so we pulled it off.

Double wrapped it in foil/towels and stuck it in my prewarmed cooler:

Let it rest for two hours and then went at it with bear claws:

This was my first butt so I wasn't expecting much, but damn!! It was awesome. Nice light smokey flavor and moist. Went great with beans and potatoe salad.

And finally, the left overs...

Thanks guys for all the help and looking at my thread. Its been a damn long (but fun day) and its time to relax!

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #15
Big George's BBQ

I am glad it went over well Looked great to me When you put your temp probe in make sure it is not touching or too close to the bone
KCBS