MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

View Poll Results: ***Vote! BBQ Brethren "Food Truck Feast" Throwdown - Vote!!!
emtnate 5 14.71%
LYU370 10 29.41%
lunchman 10 29.41%
Stingerhook 9 26.47%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-19-2019, 02:10 PM   #1
Shagdog
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default ***Vote! BBQ Brethren "Food Truck Feast" Throwdown - Vote!!!

It is time to decide the winner of the BBQ Brethren "Food Truck Feast" Throwdown!

The winner will be announced after the poll closes on Monday, August 19th.

Click HERE to go to the Throwdown thread, or click on the person's name or picture for more pics/info on the entries.

emtnate

LYU370

lunchman

Stingerhook

Come Join the fun in the Throwdowns!

Shirley Fabrication 24x70 Trailer - UDS - Weber Kettle - WGA - Fire Pit Rotisserie - Shirley-Shagstone Griddle/Wok Cart - Carson Rodizio

2016 Official BBQ Brethren Ribeye Master

Last edited by Shagdog; 08-22-2019 at 12:37 PM..
Shagdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->

Old 08-19-2019, 03:24 PM   #2
BillN
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Bill

Well here are five food trucks I want to visit.
PK 360 w/Grill Grates
BillN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:47 PM   #3
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

Radrob had me the second I saw an awesome burger with no sesame seeds (anaphylaxis sucks, but that burger does not).
Old 08-19-2019, 07:28 PM   #4
tom b

I see a hard plate...
Old 08-20-2019, 11:22 AM   #5
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

These would all be Best Sellers for the truck
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:20 PM   #6
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard
Exclamation Moderator's Note

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom b View Post
I see a hard plate...

Tom, thanks for noticing this! I'm assuming you are referring to Radrob's entry in this Throwdown:

The Category description reads:

Emphasis is placed on the serving method. No fine china or glassware is permitted!

It would appear that Radrob's entry MAY be on some kind of ceramic or China plate, but we really can't be sure. This is a tough one as I don't see a clear rule violation, so I see no need to disqualify his entry.

However:

The bigger question is how well Radrob's entry conforms to the spirit of the category description, and that is something the voters must decide. All of the other entries clearly fit in line with the spirit of the category description and were presented in a way you would find from a food truck.

Folks, please chime in if you have something to say about this...

Moose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:44 PM   #7
emtnate
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Nate

China plate or not, I see a tasty looking burger. We have a local truck that sells mostly hot dogs and pastas bravas, but also sells a burger. The one pictured would be right at home with their offerings.

Plus this is a friendly competition, mostly for bragging rights and ideas for future cooks.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:59 PM   #8
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtnate View Post
Plus this is a friendly competition, mostly for bragging rights and ideas for future cooks.

It is friendly, but there are also rules, and we cannot selectively enforce them. While the entry in question did not violate those rules, it WAS borderline in that it did not conform to the spirit/context of the Category description.

In all fairness, Tom brought up a good point which I needed to address publicly.
Thanks from: --->
Old 08-21-2019, 04:25 PM   #9
LYU370

This is why you Mods are paid the big bucks...

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 08-21-2019, 04:30 PM   #10
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

I called his entry out as my choice early on, but I am not so sure the line is blurry except in the possible description of "fine china." I honestly had forgot about that kicker in the rules since I did not submit anything. I wonder if in the future (since sometimes the rules can influence voting because of spirit if not disqualify an entry) the added rules need added to the voting page. Just a thought.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:02 PM   #11
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliding_billy View Post
I called his entry out as my choice early on, but I am not so sure the line is blurry except in the possible description of "fine china." I honestly had forgot about that kicker in the rules since I did not submit anything. I wonder if in the future (since sometimes the rules can influence voting because of spirit if not disqualify an entry) the added rules need added to the voting page. Just a thought.
You make a good point, Chris. I didn't notice the plate until Tom brought it up.

In retrospect, the rules in this TD should have been more consistent and specific. So instead of this:

Emphasis is placed on the serving method. No fine china or glassware is permitted!

To something like this:

Emphasis is placed on the serving method. No ceramic plates or china, silverware, glassware, etc. Your entry photo MUST show your dish served as it might come from a food truck.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:09 PM   #12
LYU370

I can see where you're coming from with the possibility of selectively enforcing rules and it maybe causing problems in future TDs. "Hey you allowed it in xxx TD." Others may have a different opinion, don't know. I've heard there were many squabbles over rules in years past, way before I started entering. Perhaps highlight any rules specific to a particular TD. Like I said, glad I'm not a Mod.

That being said, if my entry gets beaten and there happens to be an "illegal" plate in the pic.... Well, there's always the Chicken Quarter TD coming up....

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:11 PM   #13
lunchman
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Dom

I hadn't noticed it and frankly, it doesn't bother me even as a participant. It's a fine looking entry and the slip up wasn't caught until after the voting began.

The throwdowns are all in good spirit and as much as I enjoy entering them I'm more intrigued by seeing what other members come up with.

-Dom
Old 08-21-2019, 05:38 PM   #14
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYU370 View Post
I can see where you're coming from with the possibility of selectively enforcing rules and it maybe causing problems in future TDs. "Hey you allowed it in xxx TD." Others may have a different opinion, don't know. I've heard there were many squabbles over rules in years past, way before I started entering. Perhaps highlight any rules specific to a particular TD. Like I said, glad I'm not a Mod.

That being said, if my entry gets beaten and there happens to be an "illegal" plate in the pic.... Well, there's always the Chicken Quarter TD coming up....

Like I said, I brought this up to address the fact that Tom noticed "the plate". It was an honest question, and it wouldn't be fair to ignore it. Again, Radrob's entry didn't necessarily violate the category specifics, or "special rules", at least that we are aware of. That plate in his entry could be made of paper or cardboard for all we know. Short of Radrob coming forward and saying that "plate" was indeed made of "fine China" then it will stay where it is.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:55 PM   #15
tom b

I'll vote accordingly

but I wanted to vote for the burger