Catered pig roast

ynotfehc

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Didnt see very recent posts about catering whole pig roasts, so looking for more recent experiences. I've got a few requests for a pig roast next summer how do you do the presentation/serving of the meat?

We cook hogs skin side down like he's laying on his back. Once displayed we pull and blend the entire hog together, that way everyone gets the same meat and you don't have the first to eat talking about how good this cut or that cut was and the people at the end have to hear about it but don't get to try it.

We've been cooking them "racer" style and serve them the same way presented on kale with various things around it. then cut it open and pick it apart.

Tony,

I cook them on its back. I also wrap a couple splits in foil and put one under each rib cage to hold the juices. I have a wooden serving tray, cover with kale, put on a couple sawhorses for guests to take photos. Then I bring it back to my prep table to pull and mix as mentioned above.

I do reserve the cheeks for the guest(s) of honor though as it is the best part and they are footing the bill.

I also have a $1,500 additional labor charge for doing a pig roast because of the time/labor involved.

I also have a $1,500 additional labor charge for doing a pig roast because of the time/labor involved.

Do you get a lot of push back with this? We are new as well and are going to really kick this thing off in the spring. We have our menus made, but our on site labor charge we have listed as $350. Are we short changing ourselves? I'm dealing with a similar clientele in Northern NJ as you probably are in CT.

Do you get a lot of push back with this? We are new as well and are going to really kick this thing off in the spring. We have our menus made, but our on site labor charge we have listed as $350. Are we short changing ourselves? I'm dealing with a similar clientele in Northern NJ as you probably are in CT.

I’ve done 3 dedicated pig roasts with no push back on the price.

Back