MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:38 AM   #106
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Fine build there Mon!
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 03-25-2012, 09:03 AM   #107
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

I like the kerf cuts to bend that square tubing to the contour of the trailer! Are you going to fill in the cuts with JB Weld or Bondo and paint over it? I'd hate to see moisture get in there and rust it fromt he inside out after all of that hard work you're putting into this build!!!
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2012, 01:51 PM   #108
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple T BBQ View Post
Just some fresh tires and rims my friend. Those old ones look a little tired and you seem to be missing one. I could be wrong though.
Oh..ha..Of course! The tires that were on it were shot. I bought these two used tires so we could get it home. We are definitely going to by four new wheels/tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple T BBQ View Post
Again, I know we talked about this, but make sure you make your stack removable if you want to store this sucker inside a storage unit or garage with a normal height door. Being able to slip the stack off for towing (less drag) and not hitting the header on the garage door will keep you off youtube and your family members won't be making 5k off you on america's funniest videos or showing up on Tosh 2.0, etc.

It looks great and I really like how the firebox came out here. Having studied the Jambo's as well, I think you have it nailed. Its gonna cook great. Get yourself some cheap biscuits and start testing the temps on that sucker. Be sure to shoot some pictures at night with the firebox lit up. It will look great!!
I'm with you all the way on that. We didn't weld the stack to the elbow. We'll find a way to rig it so that we can get her on and off..maybe a pipe flange on the stack itself.

When we get her fired up, I'll definitely get some biscuit shots and some night glow action posted for you guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaQue View Post
I like the kerf cuts to bend that square tubing to the contour of the trailer! Are you going to fill in the cuts with JB Weld or Bondo and paint over it? I'd hate to see moisture get in there and rust it fromt he inside out after all of that hard work you're putting into this build!!!
You're absolutely right. I'm thinkin JB Weld. It's quick and easy...cheap too.
* XL [COLOR=seagreen]BGE[/COLOR] *Charbroil offset (cheapo) and a *[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125966"]project in the making 6' long x 28" diameter offset[/URL] [COLOR=red]<<<[/COLOR]Take a look!
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2012, 03:45 PM   #109
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

For the removable stack issue...could you weld a smaller diameter section of pipe to the elbow, say 6 or 8 inches long, and then slide the 3' stainless piece over it when you were ready to cook?

Old 03-25-2012, 03:59 PM   #110
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

CQ is right. This is the same thing we did. We have a chunk that sticks up out of the smoker that the chrome stack slides on over. We can remove it and store it in the toolbox when we are traveling. Pics coming soon.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:17 PM   #111
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

It's funny you guys mentioned that. That's basically what we did. There's a smaller piece of pipe about 3 or so inches tall welded to the elbow. I guess I was just wanting to find a way to lock it in place or bolt it down.
* XL [COLOR=seagreen]BGE[/COLOR] *Charbroil offset (cheapo) and a *[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125966"]project in the making 6' long x 28" diameter offset[/URL] [COLOR=red]<<<[/COLOR]Take a look!

Old 03-25-2012, 09:17 PM   #112
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

What about making a collar with slots in it and welding studs to the stainless pipe so they interlock when you twist the stack? Maybe do the slots the stainless rides in at an angle so it creates locking pressure as you twist it into place?

Old 03-25-2012, 11:45 PM   #113
dnoneck
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ View Post
It's funny you guys mentioned that. That's basically what we did. There's a smaller piece of pipe about 3 or so inches tall welded to the elbow. I guess I was just wanting to find a way to lock it in place or bolt it down.
The only thing with dropping the stack over a stub coming up is the grease that will collect on the inside of the stack and leak out the botton. If you sliped it into a sleave the grease would go into the smoker and out the drain
dnoneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2012, 07:00 AM   #114
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Ours is a really snug fit. I don't even think water would run through it. It takes finesse to get the stack on. If we remove it from time to time, we can just give it a wipe down.

CQ: Great idea. A twist lock would work better than bolting it down. That would keep it in place just right.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:47 AM   #115
mr dirts bbq
Full Fledged Farker

looking great! where did you get the mineral wool for the fb? ive found it online for $72 for 3 24"x50" pieces is that a good price?
charbroil offset, custom trailer pit, 46" vermont castings gasser, 18" kettle, big poppa smokers engineered drum kit smoker than was never picked up = NEW TOY! :becky: and last but not least: a never ending 20' comp trailer project:doh:
mr dirts bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2012, 10:01 AM   #116
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dirts bbq View Post
looking great! where did you get the mineral wool for the fb? ive found it online for $72 for 3 24"x50" pieces is that a good price?
Thank you, thank you. The mineral board should be a bit cheaper than that. You can find ceramic wool for close to that price (which is more heat resistant). We got ours from a local supplier here in Springfield. I'd check around your area and see what you can get. Check under insulation or insulator in the yellow pages. That might turn up some results.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #117
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

The beast is coming to life! Looking great!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2012, 08:48 PM   #118
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Today we focused on doors and cooking surface. Short day but we did okay. It's looking more and more like a machine every weekend! I recently found out that we're going to be cooking 200+ lbs of meat on this bad boy in may, so we really have to knock this out as soon as possible..It won't likely be complete by then but it'll be ready to cook on for sure.

Here we go:

These first two shots are just quick looks at the walling. Stainless steel baby! Just kidding..it's just plain ole' sheet metal. They aren't fastened yet but I figured I add them so you guys could see how high the storage will be and to give you a faint idea of what it's going to look like.

This is a shot of how we've decided to do our hinges..just a long piece of round stock with some small pipe cut and slid over the round stock. I think the round stock is 1/2 and the pipe is 5/8..don't quote me on that though..

We got the frames made for the cooking surface. Because the chamber bowed after we cut the doors, we had a little extra work..The doors presented a much bigger problem and still need a little more finessing.

The surface is made up of 4 of these pieces. About 27"x18" each.

The last few shots here are just showing you what the inside looks like with the cooking surface laid down. The last pic is a bit blurry but that's okay...

There you have it, folks! Movin' right along!

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-31-2012, 09:19 PM   #119
Golden Toad BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Looks great!

What do you anticipate it weighing?

Toad
[URL="http://www.XtinctionSauces.com"]www.XtinctionSauces.com[/URL]
Golden Toad BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2012, 09:09 AM   #120
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

With everything we are putting on it, I'd say it will be every bit of 2500lbs. We still have a lot to add and I'm sure its over 1500lbs already..That's my guess anyway..

Tags
jambo clone, offset build, Offset smoker build, smoker build, smoker clone build