MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:32 PM   #1
Gerrit_Boys
Full Fledged Farker

Default Royal Road Trip From The North

Anyone attending the AR that had planned on driving I-29 through Iowa? I've visited with a few people about it but never had a map in hand. Any detour plans to share? I'm trying to stay on decent roads as we're pulling a 5th wheel but trying not to add hours to the trip. How is US HWY 59?
Gerrit_Boys is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2011, 08:05 PM   #2
Smokin' Bad Habit
On the road to being a farker

i belive there is still a stretch of i-29 closed due to the flooding, contact the hi-po to see if thats still true

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-20-2011, 12:11 AM   #3
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Mr. Gerrit,
I went up to Omaha and back one day this summer right after I29 was closed. I took hiway 75 from Topeka to Omaha. I don't think it added over 30 minutes to the drive each way. It was a very straight road with nice wide shoulders. Only a few small towns to drive thru and not much traffic.

Some of it was 2 line, some 2 line divided. I was happy with the route and would recommend it for towing.

I'm not if some parts of 29 are still closed or not, if so a few other shorter options my exist, such as:
Staying on 29 until hiway 2 and then going down 75
Catching 36 and going to St. Joe to meet back up with 29

Again, I recommend you check state transportation websites to make sure either of the two options I listed above are open.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2011, 08:06 PM   #4
worthsmokin
Full Fledged Farker

There is still a few portions closed down. A stretch north of Council Bluffs, then a strech from south of Glenwood, IA to Rockport, MO. Just go to google maps and search the best route. You can move the route around and see what works best.

Also I talked with a guy that had my spot in the past and he said that you can't use the gate right by our spots. He said loading in on Wednesday is the best but early Thursday will work. He stressed the early on Thursday.

[SIZE=1][COLOR=red]Worth Smokin' BBQ[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=darkgreen]26' KZ Toyhauler w/McPike 150 STOKER powered[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=red]Red Therma-Pen[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/worthsmokinbbq"][COLOR=#800080]www.facebook.com/worthsmokinbbq[/COLOR][/URL]
worthsmokin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2011, 08:57 PM   #5
Gerrit_Boys
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks guys, we'll be leaving SD on Wednesday morning so I intend on arriving in the late afternoon on Wednesday. We'll get there one way or another. See ya there!

Old 09-21-2011, 10:39 PM   #6
Gerrit_Boys
Full Fledged Farker

What do people do to water up their RV's? Is there a RV station somewhere in the area or should I haul from home? I'd rather not haul 300# of water if I can help it. I've read that they have water haulers going around. Has anyone ever done a small sump pump (one of those with a garden hose fitting) in a bucket to fill out of?