Newbie from North Calif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey063

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Greetings all. I am a long time lurker, so I thought it would be time for me to jump on in.

First off I have been grilling for about 20 years, in all that time I would call my self a decent novice, but in the last 3 years I have been working on BBQ, I have had more problems then I would like to say, but I have also had great successes.

I currently own a Weber Performer, which I bought back in 1994 and I have refubished it in 2003, in 2006 I bought a Char-Griller "Smokin Pro". This was my first decent smoker, before that I did have a Weber bullet, which I honestly could not do very well.

I have modified my Char Griller with the down pipe to the grill surface and that is about it. I was able to make average BBQ, but last Wednesday I decided to get the Char-Griller "Trio". Mainly for the convenience of having gas/charcoal and smoker. Well that is what I told my wife to justify buying it.

With this one, I went all out. Before building it, I painted it with rust resistant paint, and black engine enamel paint. Then I sealed every tiny hole, or crack I could find, then I made seal for the lid, let me tell you this part has always scared me, since I have ZERO construction skills, plus very little tools to do it with, but with alot of online searching and asking friends, I did it.

Oh yeah I also did the down pipe again for the chimney. I was planning on doing the tuning plate, but I just do not want to spend anymore money on it lol. I decided to just turn over my charcoal grate, plus I attached a piece of metal to the inlet from the sfb. The last bit of modding I have yet to do, is attach 2 temp probes on the lid, which I have in the mail to me right now.

Well I think I have babbled enough on my inept attempt at modding, I will now say a bit about me.

I am 40 something(I forget sometimes, that is why I am married, she will let me know.) I have one daughter who is in college. I was working as a paramedic until a work injury permanently sidelined me from that profession. Right now I am planning on going back to school to get my RN, for right now I am in a limbo state waiting for workers comp, my current/last employer to figure out how much they will give me. So for now I just fart around the house and go out for long rides on my motorcycle....

Oh yeah and I love to bbq as much as I can. Anyway thanks for reading my long rambling hello. If you got to the end and you are reading this KUDO's to you. :) Thanks again for letting me join your happy family.

Here is a link to my build pictures album.

https://picasaweb.google.com/106281333200770094519/NewBBQBuild?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Last edited:
Now my bbq is ready for action.
IMG_20110814_133803.jpg

Welcome from Indiana!!!!

THIS PLACE ROCKS!!!!
:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back