MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:50 PM   #16
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
Any chance that these disclosures can be made public to the member? I would like to know this information before i am expected to vote to retain a Director. I think we deserve to know of folks are making money off of KCBS and also being a Board member.
I'll gladly post a picture of mine if elected. No problem.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2011, 02:05 PM   #17
Divemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmprantz View Post
Excuse you. I was under the impression that Dave was a candidate for an office and was willing to run as a candidate and answer questions to convince me that I should vote for him. I wasn't aware that I was forbidden to ask questions. I wasn't aware that I should vote for people simply because they are members of this forum. I wasn't aware that there are those who feel that some one who is a member of KCBS but not associated with competitive BBQ in any way shape or form is qualified to act as a member of the BOD.

I too am a dues paying member of KCBS, and a competitor, and I am a member of this forum. If Mr. Compton would like the opportunity to receive my vote when the time comes, then I would like to verify that he is associated with competition BBQ. I don't know the man, but I won't ask for your forgiveness from any one to ask questions about him. You do your friend a great disservice by jumping down the throats of the very people who's votes he hopes to receive: The ones who aren't his friends but are looking for reasons to vote for him.

dmp
Let me start out with the fact that I too am a paid member of KCBS, I’m a certified Judge, and I have my own team.

I guess I’m rather surprised that you have not seen any of Dave’s postings on judging in particular and competition in general.

Dave is very active both here and in the competition world. Seeing that you have been a member of this forum since January, 2008 and are now questioning his qualifications as well as slamming others who know him, makes me wonder where you normally reside here.

I have known Dave through this forum for over four years and I have also had the pleasure of meeting him at a number of competitions. I have always found him honest and willing to look at both sides of a discussion before he takes a side.

He has my vote.
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 11-14-2011, 02:09 PM   #18
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelMaker View Post
You wish to have verification? Dave is a dues paying memnber of the KCBS and wishes to become a director of the board to further the goals of same.
That is all that is required.
I took a step back and re-read this post. A majority of what you wrote was very useful and helpful information, however the way you started your response to me, quoted above, did feel like you were attacking me for asking a question. You may feel that all that is required to serve on the KCBS BOD are dues paid and desire, but I don't. That could be argued all day long up until the election closes, and I don't think that either of us will sway the other, but it is what it is, and I would appreciate the opportunity to ask simple questions of candidates without their friends telling me that I shouldn't ask them. I apologize if I over-reacted to your response and missed the positive information due to the start, but I would hope that my questions would not be second guessed like this in the future.

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:09 PM   #19
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker

A step in the right direction would be the adoption of a "Sunshine" rule like several states have.
There is no reason, in an organization like the KCBS, for there to be executive sessions or other like meetings of board members not available to the general membership.
The rule could simply state that absolutely no KCBS business be discussed without being recorded and made available to the membership.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:25 PM   #20
Jeff_in_KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by roksmith View Post
A step in the right direction would be the adoption of a "Sunshine" rule like several states have.
There is no reason, in an organization like the KCBS, for there to be executive sessions or other like meetings of board members not available to the general membership.
The rule could simply state that absolutely no KCBS business be discussed without being recorded and made available to the membership.
I have to strongly disagree with this statement. First, sunshine laws do not forbid states from having closed sessions, only spell out the procedures and times that they may do so with exceptions also generally being written into state law.

Second, there absolutely are reasons for KCBS to enter into closed sessions. The membership's full knowledge of legal matters could compromise the organization's position at times. It also should be used for discussion of non-fully executed contracts and for personnel issues that the membership in general has no business knowing. For instance, should an employee be reprimanded or given a raise, the specific details are none of our business.

That being said, I believe the closed session has been utilized way too often in the past but I see it getting better and an agenda is now given for the topics so as to increase transparency.
KCBS Member #14287
Thanks from: --->
Old 11-14-2011, 02:25 PM   #21
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster View Post
I guess I’m rather surprised that you have not seen any of Dave’s postings on judging in particular and competition in general....

Seeing that you have been a member of this forum since January, 2008 and are now questioning his qualifications as well as slamming others who know him, makes me wonder where you normally reside here.
I have seen Dave's posts over the years, but he is not some one I converse with regularly. I was vaguely aware that he was a judge, but felt it was better to ask him an up-front, honest question rather than waste my time searching for and reading past posts by him to determine his participation level.

As for questioning qualification levels, that's what I'm supposed to do, and I'm amazed that any one would want me to vote for a candidate I don't know without questioning qualifications and being happy with them. Take a step back and look at the situation. These aren't personal attacks against defenseless forum members. These are people who have chosen to run for office and asked members of this organization and forum to vote for them. They have opened themselves up for questions about their qualifications and stances on positions. It has been well established by now that I don't know Dave Compton but I am asking him questions so that I can make an informed decision about who will will receive my votes. I think that any one who doesn't know him and doesn't do the same is doing the very thing that has angered people about past BOD elections, voting for names and not people.

Look at it from another angle as well. I personally believe that in order to be a good BOD member, a person should be involved with KCBS competition BBQ. If you don't agree, that's your opinion, and fine, but that's how I feel. What if I'm not alone in that opinion? What if Mr. Compton had just announced that he was neither a rep, organizer, nor regular competitior, and some one who is not a regular member of the forum reads that and decides that he doesn't want to vote for some one who isn't involved. Maybe (just maybe) I was trying to help Mr. Compton by having him inform other people in the forum that he is a frequent judge who is involved. Maybe I didn't know him well enough to say that in his place, and maybe I didn't want to be a campaigner for him, but I thought that others deserved to know that about him. In stead of him, or one of his stauch supporters, saying the truth about him, I've been told that I shouldn't ask him questions and that I shouldn't wonder about his qualifications. That really makes me (and maybe others) wonder why his qualifications shouldn't be discussed.

I think it does a great disservice to all involved to continue this conversation here. My PMs are about full, but I'm friends with many ppl on this forum on Facebook, and I invite any one who really wants to discuss this further to contact me there and discuss.

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:30 PM   #22
Jeff_in_KC

dmp, I fully understand what you're saying but Dave's signature here has a link to both the Web site and his Facebook campaign page. Reading such things are a part of one's educating themselves on the issues and where the candidates stand. To be quite honest, it's not even Thanksgiving yet and with all of the posts here, we as candidates could spend literally hours daily chasing all of the questions and responding to all of them.
KCBS Member #14287
Old 11-14-2011, 02:43 PM   #23
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker

Some states may differ, but in Ohio, ALL meetings of public officials to discuss business are required to be open. I see no reason KCBS business could have any reason to be more secretive than any city or county in an entire state.

I do stand corrected in that legal matters can cause closed sessions, but those reasons should be stated prior to entering a closed session and the closed session should be used only for discussing previously stated subject.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:56 PM   #24
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by roksmith View Post
Some states may differ, but in Ohio, ALL meetings of public officials to discuss business are required to be open. I see no reason KCBS business could have any reason to be more secretive than any city or county in an entire state.
I don't have the time to research the law in Ohio but I'm confident that personnel issues and more importantly the details aren't public record. There are federal labor laws that would preclude a lot of that info becoming public knowledge. If I'm wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.

Beyond that, for better or worse, KCBS has business to discuss and the board has a legitimate need to discuss pending contracts, negotiations, and legal matters without it becoming public knowledge. After the fact, I'm fine with everybody and their brother taking a look at what is relevant within the law.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:16 PM   #25
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Ok, I'm back from doing yard work .

Right - I'm not a Rep, organizer, etc. But as Ed pointed out I judge 12 to 15 comps a year in Iowa, Missouri, Kansas and Nebraska. Next year I plan on adding a few more states to my "Have Judged" list by taking a vacation trip that includes BBQ contests (I plan to do this whether I'm on the BoD or not).
I've judged over 60 contests since getting my CBJ badge in early 2007 and I received my Master CBJ in early 2010. I started out cooking with a small team here in Iowa but a back injury has put a stop to any comp cooking on a regular basis so now I judge a lot and try to cook once or twice a year with different teams.
You'll see me at a lot of comps on Friday evening, wandering around visiting with the teams that I know and meeting new friends as I pass out some smoked cheese that I have in my two-wheeled cooler that many cooks here in the Midwest recognize. At most comps that I go to I'll know at least 25% of the teams and I'm welcome in their camps when I come out to visit.
I've introduced at least a half dozen CBJs to cooks so that the CBJ can get their Master CBJ. I'm trying my best to figure out ways that the cooks and judges will get to know each other long before the judge does 30 contests. I think that the cooks and judges are two sides to the same coin and we need both sides before we have anything of value.
I've posted below a couple of links that go to my Facebook page and our campaign website. You could also check out my blogs at www.BBQCritc.com or research my posts here in the Comp section.
I guess that I've been pretty vocal as to how I think on most subjects. Have I been wrong at times? Sure! But when I find that I'm wrong I'm willing to admit it & move on.
I really didn't want to make this a long BBQ autobiography, but this does try to answer some questions that were asked.
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.

Last edited by Rookie'48; 11-14-2011 at 10:07 PM..
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:35 AM   #26
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatlover View Post
Do any of the candidates have anything to financially or personally gain from being elected? Consultant, marketing expert, contest rep, contest organizer, bbq related business owner, or anything else that people may feel is inappropriate or conflicting.

If so, what would that be?

If not, how would you deal with potential conflicts?

How would you work to make sure other board members refrain from conflicts?
I cook with the team I Smell Smoke !!!
I own a bbq catering business in Massachusetts
I teach an occasional BBQ class (I hope to increase the number of classes)
I also own a retail bbq store that sells rubs, sauces and other bbq related items in a brick and mortar store and online.

I have never advertised my business or my classes in the Bullsheet or on the KCBS website .

I have no intention of using a position on the KCBS board to promote my business or my classes. If there were ever an issue related to my business I would abstain from voting. If I were a board member I would vow to never make any type of ruling at a contest that I was competing in.

This post is my opinion and mine alone, not necessarily that of the KCBS, it's board of directors or office nor that of Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and certainly not Rush Limbaugh.
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote