• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

tried brats on the UDS..

kylersk

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Flavor was good, but the skin was way too chewy.. I cooked them for about an hour at 250-275. The internal temp was around 200, did I over cook them? I usally like them very well done on the grill, just not sure how to do them on the UDS (if it's possible)

Well, the traditional way to cook brats involves a lot of beer. If you don't have any pics at least tell us about that.:biggrin:

Ok, here's a picture.. had great smoky flavor, just chewy skin...

P1000605.jpg

You cooked brats?

Couldn't you have just shoo'd them out of your yard or told you to leave you alone. Sheesh, their parents are gonna be pizz'd.

Oh...you mean...my bad :twisted:

did they still have the brat snap? they always seem to get that chewy skin for me as well..always juicy but skin is always a little tough...but that never effects me from eating 4 or 6 of them..lol

Ok, here's a picture.. had great smoky flavor, just chewy skin...

P1000605.jpg

I guess I'm use to cooking the snot out of them on the grill till the skin cracks.. They are a bit dry, but I like em that way.. Most probably dont. ;)

When I cook my brats low and slow like that, I always give them a quick finish on a hot grill to sear up the skin.

When I cook my brats low and slow like that, I always give them a quick finish on a hot grill to sear up the skin.

Yep that's what I do too. Even when you put them in a beer bath with onions I allways do a quick fast heat to firm them up

Cooking brats in beer is the traditional way they are done up in Wisconsin where brats are traditional.

According to Dr. BBQ, they cook the brats on one side of a grill and cook a pan of onions in butter on the other side until the brats get browned and the onions get soft. Then they add the brats to the onion pan and add a can of beer and cook until the beer is reduced.

You might be able to adapt this method to the UDS and end up with skin that you really like.

I guess I'm use to cooking the snot out of them on the grill till the skin cracks.. They are a bit dry, but I like em that way.. Most probably dont. ;)
Don't worry too much about what "Most probably dont". You are the cook!

Thanks for the tips guys! Next time I'll try and finish them off on a hot grill.

Or, you could just cook them and UPS them to me. Those loooookkkkkk goood!

Back