Grinder for rubs

Scott_nra

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
:becky:Gonna get me a grinder for making my rubs. I've got a few good ones (Rubs that is) and want some advice on the grind. Would a finer grind be better or a corser grind?

Along those lines, I don't see a lot of difference in Powders v/s Granulated. Just what is the big difference there?

When I make my rubs, the biggest thing I am looking for is grinding the celery seed, Rosemary and oregano for mixing in good and cutting loose flavor.

Who's got some rub advice? I know about all the great rubs already made, but part of my adventure is developing my own, and I think I have a few really good ones now. They need a final grind instead of braking up stuff with spoons and rolling pins.:boxing::boxing::boxing:

If you're doing small batches, a good mortar and pestle would work. You'll be surprised how often you will use it once you start thinking of what it could be useful for.

For larger quantities, I would think a spice/coffee grinder is what you'd be looking for. Just be sure if you grind your own coffee, to get two units...one for coffee and one for spices.

I'm in a similar boat. Right now I just have a small hand pepper grinder and a mortar and pestle. On large batches an electric grinder would be wander. I am also wonder what sort of effect the size of the grind has on the rub.

I know 'funk does an all large grains on the final layer of his tri-layer rub, so it does play a role.

I purchased a cheap coffee bean grinder and labeled it as a SPICE grinder so we don't accidentally use if for coffee :thumb:

Burr grinders are MUCH better but I'm no hundredaire...

I've been using a coffee grinder for about 4 years now.

I purchased a cheap coffee bean grinder and labeled it as a SPICE grinder so we don't accidentally use if for coffee :thumb:

Burr grinders are MUCH better but I'm no hundredaire...

There you have it. Actually some Burr grinders have "feeding" problems. I'd go with a simple spinning blade model. Make sure to label it though...

Coffee grinder user here:thumb: I even use it to make chipotle powder from whole pods, works great.

I was looking at getting a coffee grinder too. But my wife bought one of those Magic Bullets, so I've just been using that with good results.

Along those lines, I don't see a lot of difference in Powders v/s Granulated. Just what is the big difference there?

Think size. Smaller particles will tend to lose their flavor quicker, larger will last longer. Like table salt vs Kosher salt.

I also find that a lot of powders just taste "off". I use granulated in my rubs when I can.

Seasonings tend to lose their flavor the longer they cook, that's why it tastes one way right out of the bottle but another after cooking.

I also reapply seasoning at the end to add more fresh flavor.

I just use a coffee grinder.

Herbs/spices are just like flowers, the longer they are exposed to air the quicker they lose their "scent". Use a grind to freshen them up and expose the inner parts of the herb/spice.

Coffee grinder here too. I use it all the time. Just made popcorn salt with it last night.

The only advantage I can see for a burr grinder for spices is repeatability. With a blade grinder it is hard to get the same results twice. But, as Oakpit mentioned, a burr grinder can have feed problems with spices since they rely on gravity, and the lighter spices may not drop into the burrs properly.

I use a blade grinder that is dedicated to spices and it works well for home use. If you have a Goodwill store or similar resale store nearby just to there. The local Goodwill seems to have at lest on on the shelf every time I go there and they are usually a couple of bucks. You can use Minute Rice to give it a good cleaning.

I use a coffee grinder dedicated just for spices. The only downside I have with it, is getting any kind of uniformity. For instance, grinding whole peppercorns. You get everything from dust to chunks. I've often run it thru a sieve then re-grind the courser pieces. Still best thing that I've found

To keep it consistent I guess you could probably use an adjustable pepper grinder and hook it up to a drill for speed. :becky:

Back