• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Will enhanced ribs taste better hot and fast?

che22879

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Since the ribs on special this week at target are loaded with "12% tender solution" I was wondering if cooking them hot and fast will keep them from tasting like ham? What seasoning would be good to use on them for hot and fast grilling?

Most cryovac packed ribs we encounter are enhanced for many so called reasons. Some companies are not pushing the fact. As far as over seasoning goes it depends on the packers mix. Some has more chemicals that affect the hamminess one worries about. When they feel real limp and flexable they are probably not wanting much more salt is what we've noticed. Lately the IBF premiums from Sam's have been great. As far as hot and fast , sorry not my thing. I'm a rib wrapper on a smoker kind of cook. Just season with your favorite stuff and enjoy. Good luck. Steve.

Smoking @ 300 is still smoking, you just get more sleep and more free time :)

I would consider rinsing, then soaking in something to neutralize the salt, maybe milk? I really don't know, just taking a stab in the dark here.

At already pointed out, "enhanced" ribs aren't all the same.

The hammiest ones I've done were Smithfield st. louis spares, but the Kroger ribs can turn out pretty good IMHO, as long as you use little or no salt in the rub. I also thoroughly rinse after skinning the membrane off. I think they probably get tender a little quicker than "natural" ribs, so I'd be really careful and check often if cooking HH. Personally, I just cook at the same temps as natural ones.

These are Hormel ribs. I made some baby backs a few weeks ago also from Hormel and they weren't bad. I'll smoke a few racks and do at least one hot and fast and see which ones come out better.

Most cryovac packed ribs we encounter are enhanced for many so called reasons. Some companies are not pushing the fact. As far as over seasoning goes it depends on the packers mix. Some has more chemicals that affect the hamminess one worries about. When they feel real limp and flexable they are probably not wanting much more salt is what we've noticed. Lately the IBF premiums from Sam's have been great. As far as hot and fast , sorry not my thing. I'm a rib wrapper on a smoker kind of cook. Just season with your favorite stuff and enjoy. Good luck. Steve.

Does this include the ribs at Sam's and Costco?

Back