Went to battle with the M1!!!

stangman327

Full Fledged Farker
After 12 days of vacation I finally got a chance to go to battle with my new M1.
After using a gasser for some years I felt that I was ready for an upgrade. I needed something that wasn’t going to take up a lot of space since I already had a propane gas grill, Camp Chef propane smoker and with the patio being space limited and needing a MAJOR upgrade (after next year’s wedding ). I did some research and found that the M1 fitted the bill nicely.

A previous post showed me taking delivery and seasoning as per instructed but I never had a chance to use it due to a looming 12 day vacation in Mexico which was absolutely wonderful.

Let me first say that this is my first time ever using any type of stick burner so I was a bit skeptical on how was I was going to do. Reading through multiple posts on the forum and YouTube videos in relation to fire management increased my confidence a great deal.

I’d like to take this time to thank Travis Magee and his staff at M Grills. Travis was a pleasure to work with no problem accommodating a few special request I had.

So I decided I wanted to break her in Sunday with some ribs but that soon escalated to include brisket, pork butt and chicken...funny how that happens. Now to be honest I’ve never cooked a full brisket before...did a flat about four years ago that turned out horrible so I was really jumping in the deep end and going for the throat. I said I’m going to swim or drown!

I’m here to report that my first full packer brisket was a major success! I actually impressed myself this time. I started with a 14.5 prime from Costco. Trimmed as best as I could for the first time trying not to be to aggressive and keeping it simple with SP&G about an hour before I put her on.

Lit a half basket of lump at 0430hrs and she was ready to go when I was ready at 0530hrs with two butts and one brisket. I placed the brisket fat side down on the charcoal rack right above the firebox and the pork on the top main racks with no water pan. Hindsight I should’ve placed a barrier between the meat and the firebox since after the cook the brisket was a tad bit crunchy on the bottom but in no way did it hinder the final product.

Every 45 minutes or so when I noticed the pit temp starting to drop I’d place another half split (hickory or cherry) on and kept the firebox door open a few minutes until I was assured that it was lit then I closed the door and maintained an average 265ish temp.

To make an even longer story short I wrapped in butcher’s paper, tempted, probed, pulled at 205 and placed in the cooler for two hours before I served. To be honest I thought I overcooked it until everyone and myself tasted it....it was fantastic...tender and juicy!

The M1 was SUPER easy to use and obtain “TBS”, I was surprised at how effortlessly it was. It’s a great cooker and I’m very satisfied with my purchase of it.

The only real issue I encountered was towards the end of the chicken cook I placed a full size split on which choked the fire/temp down and you guessed it thick white smoke suddenly appeared. I was able to stop it but I DID notice it in the chicken. Oh well it’s a learning experience and I’m on my way with.

Brethren thank you for all of your support and advice.

Attachments

• IMG_3629.jpg
    IMG_3629.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_3640.jpg
    IMG_3640.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_3644.jpg
    IMG_3644.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_3666.jpg
    IMG_3666.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_3668.jpg
    IMG_3668.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 361
Nice! Love seeing pics of the M1 in action :thumb:

My experience with fire management is similar to yours - some trial and error to figure out my split size but after that it's smooth sailing to maintain 250-275.

Great cook! :clap2:

Nice! Love seeing pics of the M1 in action :thumb:

My experience with fire management is similar to yours - some trial and error to figure out my split size but after that it's smooth sailing to maintain 250-275.

Great cook! :clap2:

Thank you and just to let you know that your previous post with the M1 was one of my deciding factors in purchasing it.

I have a sawzall that I used to cut them in half but I need to find a better way to do it since my buddy and I split a half cord of 3/4 hick and 1/4 cherry.

How did you buy a prime grade costco packer in Columbia? Did you go to a Virginia location?

Went to Costco in Columbia Saturday and they had four prime and about six choice. I actually picked up a choice that was in the back row but as I was walking away I noticed they had the primes in the middle section so just as I did with the choice I picked them all up and selected the best of the pick.

Back