Went to battle with the M1!!!

You crushed the first cook, great job! Pics look outstanding. When you load firebox with wood, what temp does the pit like to stabilize at? And what size splits are you using?

You crushed the first cook, great job! Pics look outstanding. When you load firebox with wood, what temp does the pit like to stabilize at? And what size splits are you using?

I cut these in half so I'd say about 6" or so. I had my fire door vent cracked about a quarter inch or so and that had me in the 265ish range after the initial spike. With all vents wide open I had her cranked up to 400 using only the firebox and that was indicated with the gauge on the smoker.

Attachments

• 2017-06-11 18.59.05.jpg
    2017-06-11 18.59.05.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 106
I cut these in half so I'd say about 6" or so. I had my fire door vent cracked about a quarter inch or so and that had me in the 265ish range after the initial spike. With all vents wide open I had her cranked up to 400 using only the firebox and that was indicated with the gauge on the smoker.

I sent an email to Travis at Mgrills and he said he'll burn anything up to 13 inches. My thought is 8 inches ought to give ability to move splits around while giving a decent burn time. Since you've burned six inches, do you think 8 inches would still allow you to maneuver splits in the firebox?

I sent an email to Travis at Mgrills and he said he'll burn anything up to 13 inches. My thought is 8 inches ought to give ability to move splits around while giving a decent burn time. Since you've burned six inches, do you think 8 inches would still allow you to maneuver splits in the firebox?

Eight inches won't be a problem at all. I think once I learn how to handle and control a fire I maybe able to insert larger splits. I would assume that the hotter the fire is the larger the split you could use.

How'd you like using your charcoal rack as a second smoker shelf? Any concerns with total capacity?

How'd you like using your charcoal rack as a second smoker shelf? Any concerns with total capacity?

I really like having it as an option but I need to take into account that since it's closer to the fire box the temps are going to be higher therefore cooking at a much faster rate. I'm thinking next time placing the more forgiving pork butt on the charcoal rack.

Back